For those of you living in caves, first of all, TAM is The Amaz!ng Meeting, held each year in beautiful Las Vegas. Second of all, why do you live in a cave, and what’s your rent?
But I digress.
I know many of you can’t attend this super fun event, so I’ll be blogging on Skepchick whenever possible, and when I can’t blog I will give quick updates on Twitter. If I’m able, I’ll upload pics to Flickr.
This brings me to you lucky folks who will be in attendance. This will be my fourth (and a half) TAM, so here’s some advice and things to keep in mind while you’re there.
First, I’ll highlight some fun events you should check out besides the lectures:
- Thursday night is the cocktail party by the pool. It’s a great time to mingle and meet new skeptics. I’ll be there — please come up and say hello!
- Friday and Saturday mornings, the entire SGU panel will be podcasting live on stage during breakfast. Come eat with us!
- Friday night is the big SGU dinner at Trevi. There are so many people coming that we’re doing a fixed menu — details here. You don’t have to RSVP with the restaurant, but we will have a sign-up sheet at the SGU table on Friday and it’ll help us know the numbers if you jot down your name on the list.
- Saturday night is my big party! I started hosting it for the JREF forum members, and these days everyone is invited. In previous years, we had a donation bucket to cover the costs, but this year the JREFfers gave enough preliminary donations that there’s no need. So, just show up with your drink of choice and we’ll call it even. Find me on Saturday and I’ll tell you the room number.
- Sunday morning we’ll all be totally wiped out, but be sure to check out the paper presentations. Our own Teek is giving a talk, plus there will be a bunch of other speakers who are sure to be educationally entertaining.
Second, some general advice:
- Don’t be shy. I know it’s tough for a lot of you, but if you see a bunch of people wearing nerdy t-shirts talking, don’t be afraid to go up and introduce yourself. There will be a lot of cool people there, who live in foreign places and work in interesting fields. Go find out more about them.
- Tell the speakers how much you enjoyed their talks. Everyone likes to hear stuff like that, and then when you go home you can tell all your nerd friends that you spoke to Neil Degrasse Tyson.
- Don’t make the cops break up another one of my parties. If I tell you to keep it down, keep it down, dammit!
- Bring cash for a Skepchick and/or Skepdude calendar! (Sorry I forgot that one, A!)
- Pick up a nerdy hottie. Seriously, TAM is packed with singles and it’s Vegas, so suck it up, buy him or her a drink, and try out a pick-up line.
If I missed anything, let me know in the comments! I can also try to answer any TAM-related queries you might have.