Friday the 13th quickies!
- Science mortification: how have you been humiliated in the name of science?-Â Anyone have some good stories to share?
- Intelligence is a predictor of religious skepticism, says professor-Â Here, I’ll say it for you: Correlation is not causation.Â Also, “David Hardman, principal lecturer in learning development at London Metropolitan University, said: “It is very difficult to conduct true experiments that would explicate a causal relationship between IQ and religious belief. Nonetheless, there is evidence from other domains that higher levels of intelligence are associated with a greater ability – or perhaps willingness – to question and overturn strongly felt intuitions.”Â Here’s PZ’s take, too.
- Material girls– The gold digger stereotype is alive and well.
- Revenge of the nerdette– Newsweek clues in to the fact that nerd girls are hot.Â Though I would like to argue that it doesn’t take a love of pink high heels to be a hot nerd girl.
- What women want (maybe)– Yet more research showing that hetero-identified women find other women sexy.Â “What really matters to women, Dr. Chivers said, at least in the somewhat artificial setting of watching movies while intimately hooked up to a device called a photoplethysmograph, is not the gender of the actor, but the degree of sensuality.”