More skepchickal sex
If this subject is still hot — and what are the odds of that? — when I get my current projects finished, I am going to write a book about religion and sex. I mean sex is all over the blogosphere lately, even on Christian blogs. How can I possibly resist all of this? (This is just a small sampling of what I’ve stumbled upon over the last week or two.)
- Christian dating site turns out to be owned by…Penthouse! Newsweek sparked a conflagration among conservative Christians last week by pointing out that Christian dating site BigChurch.com is owned by Penthouse Media Group.
- Sexuality: Not just a guy thing. Most preachers preach to the guys because of how visual they are and how the media bombards us with sexual images, etc. But what about the girls?
- Because sex should not be pleasurable under any circumstances. Parents in Schenectady, NY are up in arms because the sex education in their school district dares to talk about sexuality as if it was a good thing. The nerve!
- Abstinence and education. One of my biggest mistakes as young uber-Christian, although clearly not my only one, was in misunderstanding the role of sex in a happy romantic relationship.
- Penance for sex. Back in the Middle Ages, sex was frowned upon. â€œCarnal relations,â€ even with oneâ€™s wife, were considered filthy.
I can’t resist including more about this last one:
St. Albert The Great helped write a handbook for clerics listing the lengths of punishments â€” how long you had to live on bread, water, and abstinence â€” for each type of â€œpleasureâ€ undertaken.
Letâ€™s play a game.
Iâ€™ll list a few positions.
You guess the order of punishment, from mildest to harshest.
- Mutual masturbation
- Coitus in terga â€” anal sex (with a cleric)
- Semenem in ore â€” oral sex
- Masturbation (men)
- Coitus retro â€” rear entry
- Women who use sex toys
- Dorsal sex (woman on top)
All done guessing?
Visit Friendly Atheist for the answers.
Am I missing something here,
Or are we LOSING, big time.
By “we” I mean people who might occasionally like it if there girlfriends enjoy sex.
Science got us to the moon and I have as many girls working for me ( Engineers) as boys.
Is all that just a fluke? Is it all just a little tiny bubble of girls are as good as boys foolishness that’s about to pop?
I come home from a hard day of boy AND girl good work, intelligence and camaraderie (and innocent lust for the cute boys…) and read this stuff and go CRAZY!!!
My own girlfriend may be a hard core Catholic but she’s VERY vocal about her needs. I like that. It’s exciting. If I’m failing, I want to know. (But then again, failing is kind of what I’m good at, but I digress…)
I feel lucky with what I have but I look around the rest of the world and MAN, it’s depressing as hell!
Are we really going back to the “sex is okay if you’re married and you don’t enjoy it” days?
Is THAT godly?
Is THAT what Jesus wants?
I got off early today. I should have stayed in the lab. It’s safe there, for now…
I need a drink,
Yes Rodney, that is what they are feeding us hormonal teens theses days. If I am not being told to treat my body like a piece of meat that needs to be kept fresh until marriage, I am being told to treat my guy friends like animals that have no self control. My personal favorite piece of bullshit is the Christian community telling my father that I am helpless and need protection from nasty boys. (I am so glad he trusts me!)
Writerdd, check this study out for your research, I have made this comment before but itâ€™s a great study especially for your topic. This is verification that all teens, boys and girls, need critical thinking skills.
Link to study: http://web.mit.edu/ariely/www/MIT/Papers/Heat_of_Moment.pdf
Again and again, I am shocked and horrified by what’s being perpetrated against kids these days.
Not too long ago, I was inflicted with the brain-splosion of hearing a teenage girl explain that there was no way she could pregnant because she didn’t swallow.
Where do you even begin to correct a statement like that? Seriously? What the fuck is going on in our school system?
So, Cassie, being turned on makes you love God more? :-)
So if sex is a bad thing, couldn’t that be used as a form of punishment? You know, be forced to do sex because you had some freaky sex. Like, if you had oral, you’d be forced to have doggie-style sex every day for a week.
So, Cassie, being turned on makes you love God more?
That’s the essence of Tantra, innit?
God, I love sex.
I think that religions are missing out on a great marketing ploy. Picture this: God created sex. Sex is great. See what else God can do for you.
I’d be in church like condom off a Catholic.
I think we’ve seen enough charismatic-leader-free-love Christian sects out there to know that some religions do see the drawing power of sex to bring in (and keep) members.
You must log in to post a comment.