Skepchick Quickies 3.25
- Abusive football player off the hook for being “a good Christian”-The coach seems to be saying that it’s okay to beat a woman if she doesn’t want to baptize her child.
- Congo’s dangerous superstition– Children of Africans living in the UK are being sent back to Congo and Angola after being accused of witchcraft.
- Vaccination, herd immunity, and selfishness– A Repository for Bottled Monsters is the unofficial blog for the National Museum of Health and Medicine. This post is a discussion of current and past vaccination views and includes some pictures of smallpox victims at the bottom.
- Satirical Christian Right propaganda posters– I just love these. It’s worth it to go check out the full series, though Hemant has picked out some of the best.
- “Praying” dog at Japanese temple– Everyone’s a sucker for the cute. Just imagine what doggie prayers are like. And are the dog’s or the priest’s prayers more likely to be answered?
Loved the posters– But I don’t think the fundies would see most of them as “satire.”
There is some kind of theory about that, isn’t there? Something like that it’s impossible to lampoon the far right without it being mistaken for the real thing?
I was going to write about the abusive football players, but I think the link is good enough.
Thanks for including that one Amanda.
Mind boggling, isn’t it, Sam?
Blegh, another event in the long line of “it’s okay to hurt people for Jesus” history.
The posters are pretty great. I think this one should be the official Skepchick poster.
Dogs are cute… sometimes even chihuahuas.
The football, thing is a fucking travesty, though. It’s ok to hit her because you want to baptize your kid? That’s seriously messed-up. I’m the last one to say that violence is never the answer, but this asshole has really got it wrong. Violence for Jeebus is never the answer.
Ha, you’re so right, Joshua. We’re all full of STD’s! Skeptically Transmitted Discourse.
BTW, thanks for including the Chihuahua article… I was fuming angry after the first three. But I’m a sucker for cute puppy stories… now I’m able to go through the rest of my day just mostly irritated.
For anyone else who still needs adorable puppies after the depressing quickies today, click here.
You must log in to post a comment.