Skepchick Quickies, 3.19
- Apparently the US Senate is desperately in need of something to do, so Senators Brownback and Leiberman are working to pass a resolution recognizing the first weekend of May 2008 as ‘Ten
- Russian groups want cartoon channel shut down. The crime? Running South Park and other such anti-religious programming. Feel free to insert your own “Screw you guys, I’m going home” joke here.
- “Reports in India of a miraculous image of the Virgin Mary in the sky have led about 50 people to blind themselves by staring at the sun.” In that case, she should probably stick to showing up in cinnamon buns.
- Former religious right leaders recant. Three down, how many more to go?
- Make your own ‘God Helmet.’ But, please folks, be careful of giving your mind too many mind techniques with too many mind machines, or something like that.
Another stellar set of quickies. ‘Recant’ just made me pump my fist in the air. My co-workers are worried.
Frank Schaeffer’s book, “Crazy for God” is interesting for anyone wanting an insider’s look at what is usually a closed community. It’s not great (I got bored and didn’t finish it), but that could just be because I’ve been inside similar organizations so I didn’t find much surpirsing. It has apparently pissed off a lot of his father’s fans/followers.
Jen, thanks for the link to the article about the recanting leaders in the religious right. It was a very interesting read.
I remember being absolutely shocked the first time I read something by Cal Thomas that I agreed with! I would have put that on the same level of likelihood as my agreeing with Ann Coulter! Fortunately, the latter has never come close to happening, as I suspect my brain would explode if it did.
One parapgraph in Brayton’s analysis that I really liked was the following:
This is the same argument I have tried to make (albeit with less eloquence than the above) with writerdd on several occasions . I think the distinction is important, and (obviously) one I agree with strongly.
SteveT, I agree with that completely. I just enjoy bitching about the whackos. :-) And sometimes I actually wish I was still a Chrstian for that very reason.
writerdd, actually I had pretty much figured that out about you already, although it took awhile to penetrate my thick skull :)
Rest assured, if the Reconstructionists ever take over the government, I’ll happily fight along side you in the trenches of the rebellion. From their perspective, I doubt they would see any important difference between you and me. I suspect I might even get put ahead of you in the line for being burned at the stake!
You must log in to post a comment.