Quickies: The geological challenges of a border wall, scolding Senators, and science outreach
- What geology has to say about a 1000 mile border wall – “Smithsonian.com asked two scientists, a geophysicist and a hydrogeologist, which geologic factors the wall’s builders should take into account first if they are to execute this ambitious project.”
- GOP senator: Elizabeth Warren shouldn’t criticize Jeff Sessions because “think of his wife” – “Orrin Hatch suggested that a woman senator, quoting a woman civil rights leader, should stop talking because she insulted another woman’s husband.”
- A lot of Americans don’t know a single scientist. We need to fix that – “This is one of our biggest failures as a community. When we March for Science in April, we’ll be fighting for our right to freely communicate with the people whose taxes fund our work and the legislators who we hope will use our work to inform policymaking. But we haven’t done a good job of actually communicating with people about what we do.”
- 10 black women in academia that you need to know about – “Every single day new advancements are being made in the world of education, but when you look at the media and the people who are making these advancements, you rarely will see a black woman being honored.”
- Cute Animal Friday! You have to listen to this adorable kitten (which I believe is a caracal?). And then there’s this playful wombat.