There is currently a Senate runoff election happening in Louisiana which, if won by Democrat Foster Campbell, would narrow the partisan split to 51-49. It’s a long shot, but a really important one when you consider the already-narrow majority that Republicans hold in the Senate.
In the week since Trump’s election, we’ve seen Senate Republicans like John McCain & Rand Paul express hostility to some of Trump’s plans, so a mere 2-person majority means Democrats could have a better chance to make inroads and stop some of Trump’s more egregiously stupid ideas.
Campbell very much has an uphill battle before the vote is held on December 10th, as he faces well-funded Republican John Kennedy. “That’s cool,” most of you are saying, “but I don’t live in Louisiana.” Neither do I! But there are some ways to get involved and help before the vote on December 10th:
- If you have a few bucks to throw Campbell’s way, this would be helpful. Money is power, especially in politics.
- Make phone calls
- You do not have to be in Louisiana to make calls for Campbell.
- Obviously you have to be in Louisiana to do this. If you’re near Louisiana, consider taking a weekend roadtrip. If you have friends in Louisiana, talk to them. See if you can get them involved. If you ARE in Lousiana, get the hell out there and talk to people.
- Get out the vote on December 10th
- Spread the word on social media and talk to people you know in Lousiana. Make sure they know about the runoff election (I’m sure they do) and make sure they’re voting.
- If you’re in Louisiana, know where to vote. If your friends are in Louisiana, make sure they know where to vote.
The race is a long-shot for Campbell, but every single incursion that can be made against Republicans is important. If you can spare some money, or a few hours of phone bank volunteering, it will be worth it to potentially bring us one step closer to making Trump’s life a living hell.
Featured Image by Meta Mourphic