Quickies: Cadbury Creme Egg Conspiracy, the Burden of Big Boobs, and a Monument to Darth Vader
- When An Autism Diagnosis Comes In Adulthood – “Some had suspicions about their condition growing up. For others, the diagnosis was as much of a revelation as it was a relief. Here are three that struck a chord.”
- Watch John Oliver’s Cadbury Creme Egg Conspiracy Theory – “And over the course of the next few minutes, Oliver uses the kind of logic you’d see in any good YouTube conspiracy film to link Creme Eggs with Freemasons, Bono and the Illuminati. Obviously.”
- Judith Lasker: Evangelizing against global health ‘voluntourism’ – “Judith Lasker is troubled by service trips to provide health care in the developing world. Some of them are great: useful for the local community and inspiring for the volunteers. Others smack of colonialism, she warns in a new book, where the main focus is on what Americans can get out of the experience.”
- My boobs, my burden – “But I’m not used to glamorous bra shopping experiences. For me, and many other women “blessed” with big breasts, bra shopping is a stressful, even shameful, experience wrought with self-delusion, loathing, and disenchantment.” And WHY does everyone need to point out that you’re likely wearing the wrong size too?
- When Going Out Without a Hat Was Grounds for Scandal – “Elsewhere, too, you’ll find stories of women whose hatlessness may as well have been nudity. Michigan-based Gena Conti, who has been making women’s hats for 24 years and has traveled around the world tracking down other milliners, recounts coming across a newspaper story from the 1920s. The story reported how a woman had left her house to put a letter in the postbox at the end of her garden gate, without putting on her hat and gloves. A neighbor spotted her sin sombrero, and scandal ensued.”
- 10 things black people fear that white people simply don’t – “We brace ourselves for those white colleagues who are pissed Barack Obama won both elections and take out their racist rage on us. When we drive our cars, we have to wonder if we’ll be pulled over because our cars look too expensive for a black person to be driving. If we’re poor and sick, we wonder if we’ll be able to be treated for our illness. We have a lot on our minds, and sometimes it’s overwhelming.”
- Darth Vader Statue – “A monument to Lenin has been transformed into a statue of everyone’s favorite black-helmeted, fool-choking Sith Lord.”
- Google’s bold bid to transform medicine hits turbulence under a divisive CEO – An interesting insider’s view of the worst of corporate science and biotech. If you think scientists are immune to politics and bickering, think again.
- 7 Harmful Ways Parents Often Wield Adultism Against Their Kids – “Adultism is the belief that children are the property of their (often genetic) adult counterparts that can be used at will – instead of seeing kids as small humans who have their own thoughts, beliefs, personalities, and interests, and therefore are entitled to the same basic human rights as adults.”
Extra: Are you concerned about the erosion of LGBT rights in North Carolina? Go to the North Carolina Action Center to find out what you can do, no matter where you live! (From Jamie.)