Quickies: Men explain Lolita, Pharma Bro arrested, and the problem with clinical genetics
- Men explain Lolita to me – “You can read Nabokov’s relationship to his character in many ways. Vera Nabokov, the author’s wife, wrote, “I wish, though, somebody would notice the tender description of the child, her pathetic dependence on monstrous HH, and her heartrending courage all along…””
- An unbelievable story of rape – “An 18-year-old said she was attacked at knifepoint. Then she said she made it up. That’s where our story begins.”
- “Pharma bro” Martin Shkreli arrested for securities fraud – “Shkreli vaulted into the public eye in September, when he boasted about raising the price on a life-saving toxoplasmosis treatment for unborn babies and people with HIV or cancer by 5,455 percent.” From mrmisconception.
- Clinical genetics has a big problem that’s affecting people’s lives – “Unreliable research can lead families to make health decisions they might regret.” From Mary.
- Cute Animal Friday! Behold the adorable stripy butt of a baby okapi.