Quickies: Bacteria Clouds, Reading to your Kids, and Horrible Teachers
- A cure for ‘colorblindness’ may be in sight – Basically, scientists used gene therapy to replace the gene causing color deficiency in non-human primates (male squirrel monkeys) and the primates were able to pass a color test. Wow!
- Your Body Is Surrounded by Clouds of Skin and Fart Bacteria – “Everywhere you go, in everything you do, you are surrounded by an aura of microbes. They drift down from your hair when you scratch your head, they fly off your hand when you wave to your friend, they spew out of your mouth when you talk. Even when you sit around doing nothing, you’re sitting in your own, personal microbial bubble. Made up of millions, billions, trillions of bacteria, yeast, cells, and cell parts, this bubble is actually more like a cloud—a cloud, new research suggests, that is unique to you.”
- No, That’s NOT What the Earth Would Look Like Without Water – You may have seen a photo going around that allegedly shows what the earth would look like without water, but it’s wrong–and Phil Plait explains exactly what it shows.
- A new study gives parents another reason to read to their kids – “A new study finds that the text of children’s books contains substantially more unique words than ordinary parent-child conversation, which may help explain why reading to children is so important to their development.”
- Kentucky Clerk Again Accused Of Interfering With County Marriage Licenses – Not much to say about this one except that, in the words of Daffy Duck, this woman is despicable!
- Lawsuit: Scumbag Pill Price Gouger Stalked and Harassed Ex-Coworker’s Entire Family – The guy responsible for the price hike of a cheap anti-parasite drug coincidentally has a shady past!
- Oklahoma Pre-K teacher allegedly calls being left-handed ‘evil’ and ‘sinister’ – “The child was sent home with a letter about how left-handedness is often associated with evil and the devil.” And not only that, the superintendent supported the teacher!