Quickies

Quickies: Bacteria Clouds, Reading to your Kids, and Horrible Teachers

Featured Image

Mary

Mary

Mary Brock is a scientist who works on drugs you've hopefully never heard of. She enjoys cooking to Blue Grass music, messing with her cats, and hosting the Boston Skeptics' Book Club. She was born in the South but loves living in New England (despite the lack of chocolate chip pizza). Mary does not use Twitter and don't even try to follow her, because she is always looking over her shoulder.

New Species of Human Discovered by Six Badass Women

Quickies: #Masculinitysofragile, my uterus is not a tech leader, Black Panther, and Happy Birthday is free

1. September 23, 2015 at 10:36 am —

I am a big fan of books, but it occurs to me that the “more words” and “larger range of topics” benefits probably apply to TV too…

2. September 23, 2015 at 11:52 am —

Mary,

I never thought I’d live to see the day that someone said that being left handed made you evil. Are right handed people supposed angelic and good now?

This has to be the strangest form of bigotry I’ve ever heard of.

• September 23, 2015 at 1:49 pm —

Actually, this is not a new concept (in fact it’s such an old concept I thought it was long gone). The etymology of sinister is from the Old French sinistre which means left.

• September 23, 2015 at 4:57 pm —

I was just going to say… She isn’t wrong about the sinister bit, at least.

3. September 23, 2015 at 2:51 pm —

My mother had this happen to her when she was a child. She was forced to use her right hand, they bound her left arm/hand down.

4. September 24, 2015 at 1:11 pm —

I knew someone this happened to in 5th grade. He had better hand writing than me (in that it was more legible) but because it slanted to the left and he was left handed, it was unacceptable.

On the bacteria stuff, my research (and commercial development) into the use of ammonia oxidizing bacteria as part of the human microbiome is advancing nicely.