Quickies: GMOs, Angry Robots, and Stuntwoman Pictures from Mad Max
- The Biggest Concerns About GMO Food Aren’t Really About GMOs – “Passing around infographics about which GMO-containing foods to boycott, or putting tons of effort into passing GMO labeling laws, isn’t going to do anything to solve these problems. They will just make it easier for already-privileged people to buy food they feel good about—which may well be just as bad for their health and the environment as the food they’re avoiding. Here’s why.”
- Smart Girl Mara Wilson Discusses Mental Illness – The actress, who starred in Matilda, talks about growing up with anxiety and depression and shows a breathing exercise she uses to calm herself down. Also, this video is hosted on Amy Poehler’s site, so double yay!
- Artificial intelligence experts are building the world’s angriest robot. Should you be scared? – As long as this isn’t the robot that’s going to be driving my futurecar, it sounds pretty cool.
- Women Making Whiskey: An 800-Year History – “Bourbon, often considered a man’s drink, surprisingly has feminine roots. But it’s still a man’s industry, and women are only just starting to catch up.”
- German woman, 102, gets doctorate – 77 years after Nazis stopped her first attempt – “Dr Rapoport was born in Berlin to a Jewish mother, famous pianist Maria Syllm. She finished her doctoral thesis in 1938 on diphtheria but because her university was under Nazi influence at the time, she was refused entry to her final oral exam.” From Radium.
- A Stuntwoman’s Set Pics Show Just How Intense Mad Max Filming Really Was – Pretty much exactly what the headline says. Also, I can’t wait to see this movie.
- The Boy With the Lego Hand – “After wearing prosthetics all his life, 9-year-old Aidan Robinson has designed one that fits a Wii controller and screws on a Super Soaker.” Sounds like he has a bright future in biomedical engineering!