Quickies: Bombardier beetles, race in America, and Oprah dumps Dr. Oz
- How this beetle creates 500 explosions per second with its bum – “There are few defences more extreme than that of the bombardier beetles. These insects deliberately engineer explosive chemical reactions inside their own bodies, so they can spray burning, caustic liquid from their backsides.”
- Con or Bust – “Con or Bust helps people of color/non-white people attend SFF conventions.” They’ve got some great auctions up right now as fundraising. From Eric.
- Race in America forum with Ta-Nehisi Coates – Haven’t yet had a chance to watch this but Coates is an amazing journalist and I look forward to it. From Ray.
- Oprah just dumped Dr Oz’s radio show – “While there has been no explanation for the switch, the news comes just over a week after Oz faced heavy criticism for featuring questionable science on The Dr. Oz Show.”
- Cute Animal Friday! From Mary, the watermelon-eating techniques of large animals.