Quickies: Mega Penguins, Tea Party Scammers, and Science Experiments on Vine
- Exclusive: ‘Pro-Troop’ Charity Pays Off Tea Party Cronies Instead – “Move America Forward has collected millions to send care packages to U.S. troops. But its assets have been used to benefit conservative political consulting firms close to its Tea Party founder.”
- Slaves of Happiness Island – “While there are no official statistics, there may be as many as 1 million migrant construction workers in the UAE today. Like Tariq, the men I talked to have had their passports confiscated and earn between $150 and $300 a month. They will have to spend years working off debts to recruiters who have gotten them their jobs.”
- Extinct mega penguin was tallest and heaviest ever – “Forget emperor penguins, say hello to the colossus penguin. Newly unearthed fossils have revealed that Antarctica was once home to the biggest species of penguin ever discovered. It was 2 metres long and weighed a hefty 115 kilograms.” Daaaamn!
- The Abortion Ministry of Dr. Willie Parker – “In Mississippi, there is only one clinic where a woman can go if she needs an abortion. The state is trying to close it down. At that clinic, there is a doctor who tends to the needs of these women, and he has to fly in from out of state to do it. There is no shutting him down.”
- All The Science Experiments You Wish You Could Do At Home, But Can’t – “Take yourself back to your high school chemistry class. Now think about the storage room, full of all those boxes and bottles of chemicals. What were they all? What havoc could they wreak? How can you get your hands on some now?”
- Breaking Out the Broken English – “Voice-over work often demands that Arthur Chu, recent Jeopardy! champ, feign speaking English in a “Chinese accent,” rather than the meticulously practiced American English that now comes naturally.”