Quickies: A forensic pathologist’s day, feminism doesn’t make women “victims,” and the diversity gap in sci-fi/fantasy films
- A day in the life of a forensic pathologist – “At this point a television pathologist would change into designer shoes and jet off to the park, where she would interview bystanders, collect their DNA, and process it in her mobile DNA lab to find the assailant in just under 20 minutes. I, on the other hand, pull the shoe covers off my sensible clogs and clomp across the building to track down an investigator and ask him to call law enforcement.”
- Feminism makes women “victims”? I think you’ve mistaken us for sexists – “An old canard about feminists is that, in addition to being hirsute bra-burners, we want to turn all women into “victims” – and thanks to “Women Against Feminism”, this particular accusation has gained some moderately mainstream traction in recent weeks.”
- Cause of mysterious Siberian holes possibly found – Hint: It’s not aliens! From Criticaldragon1177.
- The diversity gap in sci-fi and fantasy films – Those are some depressingly low numbers.
- My latest Read it and Weep episode! – On the truly awful zombie apocalypse book “The Rising” by Brian Keene. Warning, the book is very violent, gross, sexist, and racist so all of those themes are discussed in the episode. I have to say, it’s a very cathartic experience to get to tear down such a horrible book with humor.
- Cute Animal Friday! A herd of baby capybaras that actually made me “Awwww!” out loud. You’ve heard of the new movie, Boyhood? Well, try the cuter version, Cathood.