Quickies: Abortion and Junk Science, Quantum Cheshire Cat, and Facial Transplants
- Senate Abortion Hearing Reveals Junk Science Behind Women’s Health Laws – “This month, a Senate committee held a hearing on whether to halt the growing number of state laws reducing access to abortion services in the name of protecting women’s health. The ‘expert’ testimony revealed just how much these laws rely on fringe science and discredited research.”
- ‘Quantum Cheshire Cat’ becomes reality – “The phenomenon is named after the curious feline in Alice in Wonderland, who vanishes leaving only its grin.”
- Y’all Keep Talking: Lab Scratches ‘Southern Accent Reduction’ Course – Just because you have a Southern accent does not mean you’re unintelligent, and I’m tired of that trope.
- Hobby Lobby alleged to have fired pregnant employee who requested time off to give birth – “Hobby Lobby has always contended that even though it won’t provide employees with comprehensive contraceptive coverage, it really is a very nice place to work because it goes the extra mile for employees. But according to a report from RH Reality Check, the company may have fired a pregnant employee after she requested time off to give birth to her child, even after reassuring her that her job would be waiting for her when she was ready to come back.”
- The New Face of Richard Norris – “For fifteen years, Richard Norris had a face too hideous to show. Then, one day, a maverick doctor gave him a miracle too fantastic to believe. Richard got a face transplant, a new life, and a new set of burdens too strange to predict. What’s it like to live with a face that wasn’t yours—and that may never quite be?”