Quickies

Skepchick Quickies: Germ Theory, Medieval Sexual Guides, the Perspective of a Transracial Adoptee, and Never Getting Fat

Happy Birthday to Roger Payne! He was born on January 29, 1935, and is a biologist and a co-discoverer of whale songs. Another interesting fact: a recording of whale songs is included on the Voyager record.

Mary

Mary

Mary Brock works as an Immunology scientist by day and takes care of a pink-loving princess child by night. She likes cloudy days, crafting, cooking, and Fall weather in New England.

The Adventures of Wintergreen Bottoms

Quickies: Women with friends are scary, Bigfoot is dead

1. January 29, 2014 at 9:54 am —

Mary

That sexual decision flow chart makes me even more glad I don’t live in medieval Europe. I bet there was a lot of “sinning” going on back than.

• January 29, 2014 at 8:56 pm —

I know, right? Although maybe the chart also finctioned as a form of birth control, because people could rarely have sex!

• January 29, 2014 at 9:18 pm —

Your typo just made a word that I didn’t until now realize needed to exist.
        Finctional – a fictional function. E.g. the Nazca lines’ function was to guide UFO landings.
        I just love portmenteaus.

• January 29, 2014 at 9:22 pm —

E.g. The Nazca lines’ finction was to guide UFOs.
          Damned autocorrect ruins yet another joke.

• January 30, 2014 at 3:09 am —

Not to be confused with the finktional fucktion (usually found wearing a fedora and trolling Skepchick)

• January 30, 2014 at 6:08 am —

Haha, damn this ipad keyboard!

2. January 29, 2014 at 1:30 pm —

The sexual harassment thing happens a lot. I mean, it’s a minority of gamers, but a very vocal minority. And you can bet that if I’m attacked tonight, guess what part of the night I’ll most remember? (But then again, the particular annoyance I have right now is some of the gamers themselves.)

The Michael Pollan article was interesting. Intestinal bacteria are an interesting area because there is something worth exploring there, but sadly 99% of what you hear in the mainstream media wrt: intestinal bacteria is woo. Poo woo, if you will.

On transracial adoption, Evangelicals are currently trying to gut the Indian Child Welfare Act. It’s particularly jarring because of the sheer hypocrisy and half-truths on their part.

• January 29, 2014 at 8:55 pm —

But this wasn’t just a gamer, it was a guy being interviewed by a reporter and the harassment was just so blatant.

Recent gut microbiota research is very interesting! I just did a project on it. If you are interested, you should look up the latest research at Harvard or Pubmed.

• January 30, 2014 at 5:44 pm —

Yeah, I’ve seen it. I was referring more to the MSM. Peer-reviewed journals, as always, are my primary sources for all things science.

Yeah, I’m more familiar with what women gamers have told me. I am never surprised really about the tech industry, though.

3. January 30, 2014 at 5:21 am —

The comments to the “growing up white” article are worth reading.