Quickies

Happy Birthday to Julius von Mayer! He was born on November 25, 1814, and was a physicist who became one of the founders of the First Law of Thermodynamics.

Mary

Mary

Mary Brock works as an Immunology scientist by day and takes care of a pink-loving princess child by night. She likes cloudy days, crafting, cooking, and Fall weather in New England.

Global Quickies: 23/11/2013

ICYMI: November 17 - November 23 on the Skepchick Network

1. November 25, 2013 at 10:34 am —

It is 100% worth it to read the Opinion and Order all the way through regarding the FFRF success. I was riveted for all 43 pages. It moves pretty quickly.

2. November 25, 2013 at 11:21 am —

You know, regarding that sushi thing, I could have sworn I read somewhere that woman average very slightly lower body temperatures due to differences in resting metabolism that results from the slightly different muscle/fat ratios which would make men more likely to ‘warm’ the fish though handling.

• November 25, 2013 at 11:28 am —

I’m sure dudes would find some other magical reason then, haha

• November 25, 2013 at 1:21 pm —

Reading the comments, I now uinderstand why Skepchick doesn’t allow us to edit comments.

3. November 25, 2013 at 1:13 pm —

Just how long are they handling my sushi anyway?

4. November 25, 2013 at 3:31 pm —

So women shouldn’t touch the sushi with their hands, but it’s okay to use them as serving trays? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyotaimori ) Makes perfect sense.

5. November 26, 2013 at 1:24 am —

There are women sushi chefs. The Silicon Valley company I used to work for has it’s own cafeteria that includes a sushi bar and they had at least one woman preparing sushi. There was a little sushi place in the hood for many years, a real “mom and pop” place, just the two of them. They both handled the fish.