It’s true. We are leaving our super secret Skepchick Headquarters once again this month to venture out to events in Sacramento, Seattle, and Akron. (Way to ruin the alliteration, Akron.)
UPDATE: It’s okay, Akron. Boulder has stepped in so you won’t feel so alone. I forgot about the Boulder Science Festival next weekend (Oct. 12 and 13), the one that Amy is sending some folks to. Amy and Nicole will both be there.
Next Saturday (Oct. 12), Heina will be speaking at the Sacramento Freethought Day celebration along with Annie Laurie Gaylor, Greta Christina, and more. Victor from Mad Art Lab will also be there, performing at the fundraising luncheon on Friday as well as on Saturday.
The following Saturday (Oct. 19), Heina will be at the Sexy Secular Conference, a free con in Akron about promoting sex positivity, hosted by the University of Akron’s Secular Student Alliance. She’ll be joined by Annie Laurie Gaylor and Greta Christina here too, as well as Mandisa Thomas, Aron Ra, Nate Phelps, and more.
That same weekend is Geek Girl Con in Seattle (Oct. 19 and 20). Rebecca, Amy, Dr Rubidium, Noisy Astronomer, and I will all be there. You can see the full schedule in the recently released Geek Girl Con ’13 Strategy Guide.
Geek Girl Con is where Dr Rubidium, Noisy Astronomer, and several other scientists and science educators will be running the DIY Science Zone, with my nonscientist assistance (I wash beakers like a freaking machine, people). You can read more about the activities and fundraising incentives here and watch DrRubidium’s latest update video here.
We’ve already reached several targets (thank you!) and been working away on the promised Acts of Whimsy:
- @DrRubidium has been suffering through Nickelback.
- @DrMRFrancis has been wearing his Cthulhu hat about town.
- @DNLee5 has filmed her science cheerleading routine.
- We’ve completed Science Mad Libs with three of our own thesis abstracts live on Google Hangouts. You can watch the first two (in one Hangout) here and the second one here.
Other acts are in progress:
- @Seelix is in the process of creating her Catavenger.
- @Sargent’s Sockmetheus is in production.
- @Scicurious and @DrMRFrancis are recording their science version of a pop song.
- Plus we have many promises of silliness to keep at the con itself, not to mention if we reach our target of $5,000.
We need only $1,300 more. If you can spare $5 for science outreach and education, please click here to donate.
I hope to meet some of you in Seattle!