Quickies

Amanda

Amanda

Amanda is a science grad student in Boston whose favorite pastimes are having friendly debates and running amok.

Anti-Vax Hacks Abuse Fed Facts

My Time With Richard Dawkins (Or, Why You Should Never Meet Your Idols)

1. September 5, 2013 at 10:36 am —

My favourite: “1) Same-sex marriage is an elaborate scheme concocted by lesbians to entrap men.” Just because it is so weird.

• September 5, 2013 at 4:10 pm —

The weird thing about this conspiracy theory is that many make the same claim about straight marriage, and I have seen at least a couple of straight marriages that fit the pattern–no lesbian marriages that did, though.

2. September 5, 2013 at 12:22 pm —

Amanda,

In another version of the “Planned Parenthood is trying to get kids hooked on sex” conspiracy theory that I’ve heard, its not necessarily the case that condoms are inherently ineffective, but that Planned Parenthood deliberately sabotages the condoms somehow, to make sure they don’t work.

3. September 5, 2013 at 1:42 pm —

I suppose if the little girl used some harsh chemical straightener to un-fad her hair, the school would have been more than accommodating!

What unbelievable assholes.

• September 6, 2013 at 12:17 am —

I was thinking the same thing. Do we expect 7-year-olds to start processing their hair?

4. September 5, 2013 at 2:28 pm —

My fave fundy myth is that rape is birth control.

5. September 8, 2013 at 10:40 pm —

I have sort of a weird experience regarding female conductors. See, I only started going to the symphony on a semi-regular basis in the last few years, so the only symphony to speak of that I’ve gone to is the one in my city: the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. Though it’s sadly not mentioned in the article up there, the BSO is where Marin Alsop makes her permanent home as music director, so by far the majority of symphonies I’ve seen have been conducted by her. As a result, even though I know it’s an incredibly male-dominated profession, whenever I picture an orchestra conductor I instinctively picture a woman.