On September 11, 1978, Janet Parker became the last known person to die of smallpox. Unfortunately, she was accidentally exposed in a laboratory environment, and even more unfortunately she wasn’t even working with the virus (it likely spread via the air vents).
- Richard Dawkins defends “mild pedophilia,” says it does not cause “lasting harm” – What is this, I don’t even.
- The Disturbing, Shameful History of Childbirth Deaths – Trigger warning: do not read this if you are pregnant. Just go relax and think happy thoughts.
- People make the same basic investment decisions as monkeys, scientists find – Interesting!
- Found Poetry From Years of Tech Conference Sexism – “In honor of ‘Titstare,’ an ode: to the soft bigotry of bro expectations.” From Jamie.
- Don’t Lather, Don’t Rinse, Don’t Repeat – “Microbeads, found in many cosmetics, are the latest addition to the marine plastics problem. Yes: You may be dirtying our waters every time you clean your face.” Dang! I didn’t even think about this!
- No, the World Isn’t Cooling – Phil Plait does a takedown of the Daily Fail.
BONUS: Do Any Bands Give a @#$% About the Oxford Comma? (I love the Oxford Comma.)