Skepchick Quickies 8.12
On August 12, 1851, Isaac Singer was granted a patent for his improved sewing machine design. This is somewhat relevant to me–I’m an avid crafter and I just finished up a quilt, and thank goodness I didn’t have to sew it by hand!
- ‘Gift from God’ or ratings ploy? Abandoned babies are handed out live on Pakistani TV – ” ‘We find eight to ten bodies a month in the garbage, mostly girls,’ said Chhipa, who runs the Chhipa Welfare Association. ‘This is the reason we are going on the show, to give the awareness, to give the information to the public.’ “
- Take Back Your Pregnancy – “Modern pregnancy comes with a long list of strict rules, but does it have to? An economist examines the data and finds room for choice amid the familiar limits.” I definitely recommend this article, even just to forward to your pregnant friends. From Jamie.
- This Mennonite Colony Has a Crazy-Horrible ‘Ghost Rape’ Problem – You may have figured out that there is no “ghost” at work here.
- Atheism is maturing, and it will leave Richard Dawkins behind – From Amy.
- Many Americans have no friends of another race: poll – What about you?
- Leah Remini deals Scientology new blow – But the LAPD just closed the missing persons case about Shelly Miscavige. From Amy.
BONUS: The Swedish word for “fluffy” is “fluffig” and “poofy” is “puffig.” I just found that out (from Felicia at our awesome Swedish site).