On March 6, 1857, the US Supreme Court made one of the worst rulings in history, known as the Dred Scott Decision. Basically, the court ruled that people of African descent were not US citizens and had no rights under the US Constitution, whether they were a slave or free.

Featured Image

Mary

Mary

Mary Brock is a scientist who works on drugs you've hopefully never heard of. She enjoys cooking to Blue Grass music, messing with her cats, and hosting the Boston Skeptics' Book Club. She was born in the South but loves living in New England (despite the lack of chocolate chip pizza). Mary does not use Twitter and don't even try to follow her, because she is always looking over her shoulder.

Vaccinate Your Bracket!

Speaking out Against Hate Directed at Women: Russell Glasser

1. Profile photo of scribe999
    March 6, 2013 at 3:38 pm —

Um, those sharks usually aren’t dead when they’re thrown back into the water :(

• Profile photo of Daniel Edström
      March 6, 2013 at 4:14 pm —

No, but having their fin chopped off will eventually lead to death since they can’t swim properly.

• Profile photo of Mary
      March 7, 2013 at 7:03 am —

I know! That makes it even more tragic and cruel :(

• Profile photo of Jack99
        March 7, 2013 at 7:17 am —

Dreadfully cruel,and a shocking waste as well.

• Profile photo of weatherwax
          March 7, 2013 at 12:40 pm —

I wonder also how much the shark population is being decimated to make shark cartilage pills for the west? (And I have to admit I don’t have time to read the article just now so I apologise if that’s addressed in the article).

2. Profile photo of Buzz Parsec
    March 6, 2013 at 11:50 pm —

In one of the comments to the Google Glass article, someone claims that people can be unjustly pilloried and their reputations savaged merely for innocently asking someone to join them for a cup of coffee in an elevator. Fortunately, someone named Indigo did a fantastic job of setting the record straight, It’s amazing how many people pontificate about this who have obviously never devoted the 20 seconds necessary to watch the original video. Argh!!!

The first story about the incredibly courageous 4 year old who grew up to be a physicist, musician and creative inventor (amongst many other accomplishments) is awesome.

And I could probably never pass the Finkbeiner Test writing about Vera Rubin because I would be forced to brag about being in the same Astronomy class as her daughter and how amazingly cool it was to have a friend whose parent had discovered most of the Universe. :-)

And Mary, having read “Packing for Mars”, how can you complain about the fingernail clippings? They pale in comparison. (BTW, Mary Roach has a new book coming out called “A Voyage Down the Alimentary Canal”, or something like that. Jes’ sayin’.)

• Profile photo of Mary
      March 7, 2013 at 7:04 am —

Yes, true, fingernails aren’t the grossest part about space travel, but I wouldn’t want to be the astronaut in charge of vacuuming this guy’s air vents. “Dude, clip your fingernails on Tuesday so I don’t have to see them in the vent all week!”

3. Profile photo of Mike Conley
    March 7, 2013 at 7:31 am —

What will be the experience of the people who have to deal with others who wear Google Glass?

I don’t know about everyone else, but my experience is going to be me saying ‘Take those fucking things off when you’re talking to me’ a lot.

• Profile photo of violets
      March 7, 2013 at 11:01 pm —

Except as the article mentions, they will inevitably be integrated with prescription lenses. You’d be kind if a jerk to insist a sight-impaired person not wear their glasses.

• Profile photo of Mary
        March 7, 2013 at 11:05 pm —

I would ask that person to turn off their glasses then. I can’t stand having a “conversation” with someone who is paying half of their attention to a screen.

4. Profile photo of Filias Cupio
    March 7, 2013 at 5:51 pm —

I agree with the sentiment behind the Finkbeiner test, but I disagree with two of the listed items, as they are sometimes appropriate:
    Her husband’s job: Sometimes married couples are also a scientific team. Could you fully discuss Marie Sk?odowska-Curie without talking about Pierre?
    How she nurtures her underlings: Underling nurture is good practice, whatever your gender. I do agree that this can be talked about in a sexist way, however.
    I prefer the simpler alternative suggested in the article like an afterthought: would a given statement equally make sense in an article about a male scientist?