On February18, 1930, Pluto was discovered by Clyde Tombaugh. Interestingly, after Clyde died in 1997, he was cremated and one ounce of his ashes was saved and put on the New Horizons space probe, which was launched in 2006 and is en route to Pluto.

Mary

Mary

Mary Brock is a scientist who works on drugs you've hopefully never heard of. She enjoys cooking to Blue Grass music, messing with her cats, and hosting the Boston Skeptics' Book Club. She was born in the South but loves living in New England (despite the lack of chocolate chip pizza). Mary does not use Twitter and don't even try to follow her, because she is always looking over her shoulder.

What the Hell do Experts Know Anyway?

ICYMI: February 10 - February 16 on the Skepchick Network

1. Avatar of victoriadashtwenty
    February 18, 2013 at 3:22 pm —

Yeaaah!

2. Avatar of criticaldragon1177
    February 18, 2013 at 10:04 pm —

Mary,

I wonder what Pluto will actually look like when New Horizons snaps a picture of it.

3. Avatar of Grand Lunar
    February 18, 2013 at 10:13 pm —

The article on rape culture just brings up so much anger. What the fuck is wrong with people? With our justice system?
    It is WAY past time we took action.

For some reason, the NY Times articel refuses to open. Instead, I get “Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close”.
    Damn outdated computer.

February 18, 2013 at 11:15 pm —

Hm, sorry that article doesn’t open for you. Is your computer too old for Firefox?

February 18, 2013 at 11:16 pm —

Grand Lunar,

Hey at least you’re not having the computer problems I’m having we my machine. Its been crashing and or restarting by itself, on almost a daily basis now. Even formatting the hard drive didn’t fix it. I’ve had to borrow another person’s machine until Dell is able to fix the problem.

February 19, 2013 at 12:50 am —

Grand Lunar I have the same problem with IE on the work PC. Sometimes I can get it to work by making sure the mouse cusor stays completely still while the page is loading. I think a lot of the problem is the network “hates” all the ads and so on and scans them vigorously for viruses.

February 19, 2013 at 10:48 am —

I’ve had the problem with IE 64 bit but often find the page will open with IE 32 bit.

4. Avatar of Jack99
    February 19, 2013 at 12:31 am —

Mary, I take it the video works OK in the link I sent? I’ve tried before to share links with ABC IVIEW which only works in Oz. Bummer. These blasted restrictions keep us all in the dark ages, its one world we live in and the problems are the same all over.
    That video is the first I’ve seen of our (relatively) new Health Minister and I thought she did a great job explaining to the kids what the vaccination was all about. Many adults would also benefit!
    On another note she was on the ABC QA (Question and answer) program again last night, on a panel with Lawrence Kraus and a few others talking about atheism vs religion, climate change, origin of the universe, etc. and wow, I was impressed with her general knowlege of science and her logical and evidence based approach. Maybe PM material one day?
    This program takes questions via Twitter. One titbit of info that came out is that there are some State schools in Queensland where creationist teachers are teaching Intelligent Design in Science classes! Damn, I nearly burst a blood vessel! She confirmed that that should not be happening under our laws and promised to investigate .