On February 11, 1752, the Pennsylvania Hospital was opened by Benjamin Franklin and thus became the first hospital in the US. It was also notable for having the first surgical ampitheatre and the first medical library in America.

Mary

Mary

Mary Brock is a scientist who works on drugs you've hopefully never heard of. She enjoys cooking to Blue Grass music, messing with her cats, and hosting the Boston Skeptics' Book Club. She was born in the South but loves living in New England (despite the lack of chocolate chip pizza). Mary does not use Twitter and don't even try to follow her, because she is always looking over her shoulder.

Skepchick Challenge: Ask PSYCHIC Surly Amy

ICYMI: February 3 - February 9 on the Skepchick Network

1. Avatar of Grand Lunar
    February 11, 2013 at 9:41 am —

-”Yeah, I’m sure this is due to “age and declining health.” Not any banking scandals.”

Nor would it have anything to do with cases of child abuse in the church too. :P

Have to say, I’m a bit surprised by this news. Of course, whoever the new guy would be is probably not going to be any better.
    On a similar note, did you guys hear what Benidict (can we call him by his real name now?) said about evolution? Was in my local paper some months ago. Showed that these guys know little about biology. But that should be obvious by now. :)

February 11, 2013 at 9:50 am —

I would’ve mentioned the child abuse, but I think it’s clear that the church doesn’t care about the children. Except preventing abortions for 9 year olds.

February 11, 2013 at 10:12 am —

Well, the church probably does care enough to brainwash, er, indoctrinate children so they can take the place of the older generation.

Preventing an abortion for a nine year old? Wow, that could be one for another Skepchick Quickie.
        I have to wonder if the church deliberately makes itself look like an organization of asshats.

February 11, 2013 at 12:20 pm —

To be fair, Benedict is not only older than John Paul II was when he died, but he’s already the fourth oldest pope *ever*. (And just a month or so away from being the third oldest pope.)

Not that other factors didn’t play a role, but it’s not as if he’s stepping down in his prime.

2. Avatar of Donna
    February 11, 2013 at 9:47 am —

Thanks for another excellent group of Quickies, Mary! [The Amy Bishop story is really quite something.]

February 11, 2013 at 9:49 am —

Thanks! I just started reading the Bishop story this morning and I couldn’t put it down. I’m glad you like it!

3. Avatar of prfesser
    February 11, 2013 at 10:53 am —

There has been a Polish pope and a German pope. Maybe it’s time for a homosexual pope…

Whoops. Redundant. Sorry…..

February 11, 2013 at 1:46 pm —

Really? Can you not? We have no idea if he’s gay or not.

February 11, 2013 at 2:48 pm —

My apologies. You’re absolutely correct. I made an assumption based on the attempt to cover up pedophile activities among the priesthood, which activity seems to be almost exclusively homosexual in nature. I assumed that he probably had participated in such activities….The non sequitur is mine. Sorry

February 11, 2013 at 3:01 pm —

In which case, the word is spell “pedophile”

February 11, 2013 at 3:02 pm

*spelled* as in “you didn’t mean homosexual as an insult, you meant pedophile”. That’s what I get for posting upon waking.

February 11, 2013 at 3:20 pm —

Wow. No, no, no, no. Pedophelia has NOTHING AT ALL to do with homosexuality. Nothing. Zero. Zilch. Nada. I actually took issue with your comment from the beginning because I figured you were making a “he helped cover op pedophilia within the church, so he must be a pedophile, too, and that means he’s GAY since the victims were all young boys!”

Which is fase.

Not to mention, gross, can we stop with the pedophilia jokes, please? These are real boys who were victimized.

February 11, 2013 at 3:21 pm —

Seriously, though, comparing homosexuality to pedophilia is offensive and exactly what the homophoboes do. So don’t do it.

4. Avatar of zylla
    February 11, 2013 at 11:13 am —

I read these on the bus coming in to work today, and had some thoughts… that were completely sublimated by reading another story, http://goo.gl/MOIjG – Teacher Says Gays Have No Purpose In Life, Wants LGBT Kids Banned From Prom.

Ugh.

However – “There are no popes in It-a-ly and the streets are all paved with chee-eese / Yes there are no popes in Italy, so set your mind at ease.”

5. Avatar of criticaldragon1177
    February 11, 2013 at 11:57 am —

Mary,

“pretending to practise witchcraft?” That’s the first time I’ve ever heard someone brought up on charges like that. When I first saw the title of that story about Gustavo Valencia Gomez, I thought we we’re talking about someone being charged with witchcraft and I was wonder what backwards part of the world we were talking about.

6. Avatar of criticaldragon1177
    February 11, 2013 at 12:01 pm —

I didn’t know Benjamin Franklin started the first hospital in the US. I assumed we had them when they US was still a British Colony.

February 12, 2013 at 12:18 am —

You were actually correct. In 1752 we were still colonies.

February 12, 2013 at 7:06 am —

I figured it was probably a semantic issue, thanks for clearing that up! :)