Skepchick Quickies 2.11
On February 11, 1752, the Pennsylvania Hospital was opened by Benjamin Franklin and thus became the first hospital in the US. It was also notable for having the first surgical ampitheatre and the first medical library in America.
- Pope Benedict XVI resigns – live reaction – Whoa! Yeah, I’m sure this is due to “age and declining health.” Not any banking scandals. From Daniela.
- Give Your Kids “The Talk” Without Feeling Awkward and Uncomfortable – A good resource for parents.
- A Loaded Gun: A mass shooter’s tragic past – A long read about the history of Amy Bishop, who shot her colleagues shortly after being denied tenure.
- On Pins and Needles: Stylist Turns Ancient Hairdo Debate on Its Head – The story of a hairdo archaeologist. From Citpeks.
- Study: Women Who See Themselves as Objects Are Less Able to Count Their Own Heartbeats – Interesting study or misguided science journalism? From Eric.
- Witchcraft charges dropped after restitution paid to victims – From Zoltan.