Amanda

Amanda

Amanda is a science grad student in Boston whose favorite pastimes are having friendly debates and running amok.

Betty White Day: A Holiday I Made Up (Because Why Not)

Possibly Worth Studying: Women and Low-Carbing

1. Avatar of zylla
    January 18, 2013 at 11:18 am —

Is Rebecca’s sloth attack coming later?

The MSNBC page is messing up my browser, trying to load background links. Giving them a very bad rating for that on Web of Trust. Grrrr, I want to read that, too.

January 18, 2013 at 12:30 pm —

I find that Firefox copes better than Internet Explorer with that particular problem.

January 18, 2013 at 12:53 pm —

Yeah, IE (and my phone) just locked up with wordpress and other links trying to dl. Chrome had no problems!

2. Avatar of marilove
    January 18, 2013 at 12:36 pm —

Now I want beer.

And I’d know if I was drinking non-alcoholic beer. You couldn’t fool me with O’Dell’s. I’d ruin that study haha. “THIS IS NOT REAL BEER.”

January 18, 2013 at 3:56 pm —

I wanna know how they’re administering the beer that people can’t taste the difference.

January 18, 2013 at 5:59 pm —

I wondered the same thing. I would KNOW. And if you drink regularly, you’d probably know, too. At least when it comes to Fat Tire versus O’DOUL’S. I MEAN COME ON NOW.

Just. Ew.

January 18, 2013 at 6:00 pm —

BTW, Odell beer is REALLY FUCKING YUMMY (https://odellbrewing.com/), but I always get them mixed up with O’Douls.

January 19, 2013 at 3:13 am —

I would know real beer too. But maybe it doesn’t matter much if you do know you are drinking the placebo, as far as the experiment goes.

How to explain that the author didn’t know? Maybe the runners were on an endorphin high from the running?

Or maybe everybody just gets drunk on high spirits? (perfectly possible, similar things have happened to me)

Also, moderate drinking = 2 drinks/day? By Aussie standards, that is practically teatotal!

3. Avatar of m5unit
    January 18, 2013 at 12:38 pm —

The youtube notes on the dubstep bird claim they have never played dubstep for it, BULLSHIT!

4. Avatar of daisyduck
    January 18, 2013 at 1:16 pm —

The story on non-believers and tragedy is from an NPR series that has been airing this week. I reccomend finding the whole series, it has been very intresting.

5. Avatar of Madfishmonger
    January 18, 2013 at 5:48 pm —

A little anecdote on the unhelpfulness of clergy – Just a few months ago, my stepmum’s sister died very suddenly of a heart attack. This came out of the blue (she had a rare and previously undetected heart problem) and was quite a tragedy. Her son is in his late teens and her daughter is in her early 20s and had to come with her baby from another province to attend the funeral and make arrangements for cleaning and selling the house and finding a home for the son. Their family was quite religious, and attended a church regularly and had for years. Not a single member of the church sent flowers, visited, offered to help or even sent a card. The phone didn’t ring, the priest didn’t offer any consolation. This woman spent years devoted to this church and the congregation did nothing for her children. The daughter’s completely lost faith and has made her split with the church (she’s getting all in to paganism now). I found the whole thing very disappointing and sad.