Amanda

Amanda

Amanda is a science grad student in Boston whose favorite pastimes are having friendly debates and running amok.

EVENTS This Week—Darwin Stand-Up, Groundhog Day, Squishy Physics + MORE

The Five Best Excerpts from r/MensRights Subreddit of the Day Announcement

1. Avatar of delphi_ote
    January 31, 2013 at 11:16 am —

If “Confederate history” and “states rights” and “Southern heritage” remain acceptable and popular in the formerly traitorous states, maybe we should start publicly celebrating Sherman’s March in the North.

January 31, 2013 at 11:59 am —

That sounds like a wonderful way to galvanize them against us.

January 31, 2013 at 12:15 pm —

Only if Rush Limbaugh or Glenn Beck started proselytizing. Otherwise, I don’t even ?think anyone would notice!

January 31, 2013 at 1:47 pm —

Marilove,

They probably would notice actually, but I definitely don’t agree with Delphi_Ote’s idea. It think it would just make things worse.

January 31, 2013 at 1:59 pm

I don’t know — it seems to me that the sort of people this would be directed at wouldn’t have any idea what to do until someone told them to be angry about it. Heh. But, no, I think it’s a rather sillly and unrealistic idea, anyway.

2. Avatar of criticaldragon1177
    January 31, 2013 at 1:52 pm —

Amanda,

I find it upsetting that anyone outside of a racist hate group would celebrate and idolize someone like Nathan Bedford Forest, given the fact that he was the one who started the Klan, which is arguably America’s old terrorist organization. Its also upsetting that they’re basically denying the fact that the Klan began as a racist terrorist organization. In fact I think we could argue that if it wasn’t for groups like the Klan terrorizing blacks in the South, there might not have been segregation in first place. Its bad enough that they are ignoring important figures in the civil rights movement.

3. Avatar of Grand Lunar
    January 31, 2013 at 6:24 pm —

Love to be able to go to the Calgary Secular Church.

I wonder if such a church in the US would still get exemptions in taxes like chrisian churches do?