Amanda

Amanda

Amanda is a science grad student in Boston whose favorite pastimes are having friendly debates and running amok.

$13,000 for Kids with Cancer!

Ask Surly Amy: Allergy Shots

1. Profile photo of dacy_ebd
    January 24, 2013 at 3:26 pm —

Totally read that bio as you ‘having friendly diabetes’. Wondered where I could get it. My diabetes is pretty unfriendly in every single conceivable way.

2. Profile photo of Jack99
    January 24, 2013 at 7:03 pm —

Re the online harrassment article and what men can do about it – the suggestions seem like sensibele advice to me but what do the women here think about them?

• Profile photo of Amanda
      January 25, 2013 at 10:22 am —

Well, this is just me, but just reading that list made me feel a sense of relief. It made me think of all the times I’ve been ranting about some horrible online douchiness and have had a guy in my life listen, believe me, and just simply say that I’m right and they agree. It’s not about validation, it’s about the comfort of not having to “box out your viewpoint” as Siveambrai said.

And I personally love it when guys call out other guys online for being jerks. The more the merrier and it gets fucking tiring being a feminist online.

• Profile photo of Jack99
        January 25, 2013 at 3:41 pm —

Thanks for that reply Amanda. I wish I was as articulate as some of the others, like Bjarte, for instance (he so speaks for me), but I’ll do my best! Keep up the great work and don’t ever let the bastards get you down

3. Profile photo of Siveambrai
    January 24, 2013 at 7:37 pm —

@Jack99 They’re pretty good advice generally. The first one, “1. Listen to women’s experience of online abuse and threats by men. Let us read articles about it – the ones linked here are a good place to start. Instead of suggesting solutions, we can take in how hurtful the comments are.” is great because often when men try to help they hear part, see it as a problem to be solved and then start thinking about a solution instead of listening. This is kind of boxing out the woman’s viewpoint in the matter.

• Profile photo of Jack99
      January 24, 2013 at 10:39 pm —

Sure, I accept that. At the same time, whenI”take in how hurtful the comments are”, ypu should know my reaction is white hot fury.and I want to go in and kick ass and white kinight for you all. Yet, in the end it is not about us men, of course.
      I try to keep the fury out of the comments and keep it cold and calculated while inside I’m bpoiling. Maybe it all comes across as being a bit stilted as a result.

• Profile photo of Jack99
      January 24, 2013 at 10:43 pm —

Sorry about the typos. I turned on “ignore font sizes” in Acccesibility options but this little text box is still nanoscale.