On January 21, 1960, Little Joe 1B, a Launch Escape System for the Mercury Program, was tested and launched. The only subject inside was a rhesus monkey, Little Sam, and fortunately the test was successful and she survived.

Mary

Mary

Mary Brock is a scientist who works on drugs you've hopefully never heard of. She enjoys cooking to Blue Grass music, messing with her cats, and hosting the Boston Skeptics' Book Club. She was born in the South but loves living in New England (despite the lack of chocolate chip pizza). Mary does not use Twitter and don't even try to follow her, because she is always looking over her shoulder.

Sunday Open Thread: Share Your Music

ICYMI: January 13 - January 19 on the Skepchick Network

1. Avatar of Zhankfor
    January 21, 2013 at 10:47 am —

That is a… strange list of hoaxes. The Protocols of the Elders of Zion is next to Balloon Boy?

January 21, 2013 at 3:14 pm —

Yes, the topic had so much potential and deserved better treatment than this sorry little list. What about Piltdown Man for instance?

Am I the only one who is sick of the way the list format is overused these days? Surely that format has been done to death by now!

January 21, 2013 at 9:24 pm —

Zhankfor and Jack99,

Com to think of it, the two of you have a point. The damage caused by or at least encouraged by the Protocols Of the Learned Elders Of Zion, was and is far worse than anything else Benjamin Radford mentioned in his list

2. Avatar of Jack Leonard
    January 21, 2013 at 3:20 pm —

Am I alone in thinking that it might be a good idea for a gender-neutral shop to market to both boys and girls? Better yet, it could market to neither.

I appreciate the effort they’re making to combat damaging stereotypes in girls, but that seems like only one part of a much larger problem.

3. Avatar of criticaldragon1177
    January 21, 2013 at 9:34 pm —

Mary

Speaking of that Towards the Stars online toy store, that you showed us, one of their products, in particular, looked really good to me. If I had a kid, I think I would might get him/her this.

Scientific Explorer My First Outer Space Science Kit

4. Avatar of criticaldragon1177
    January 21, 2013 at 11:14 pm —

Mary,

I have to admit, its really upsetting some people would be more upset by the death of a fictional character than a real life human being. That story about, Lizzy Seeberg’s suicide is really disheartening.

5. Avatar of scribe999
    January 22, 2013 at 2:47 am —

For some reason I have a tendency to distrust big-time sports programs. Can’t put my finger on it…