Attention women in the secular community: I want to buy your ticket to the American Atheist convention!

If you identify as a woman, are near, or can get to the Austin, Texas area March 28-31, and want to listen to a bunch of great speakers and have some fun meeting like-minded people then go fill out an application for my admission grant!

Well, what are you waiting for? Go do it now!

Here is the link to the application: http://surlygrant.com/apply/

We need more women in the secular community. Stand up, be counted – or you know, sit quietly and watch the talks, whatever is more your style. Either way, this is our community and we can make it better and more diverse by getting more women actively involved.

I plan on announcing the first round of grant recipients soon, so do get those applications in!

American atheist blue

Here is a link to a post that explains why I chose the American Atheist Convention as an event to sponsor this year.

If you want to help donate to my grant program you can go here.

Amy Roth

Amy Roth

Amy Davis Roth (aka Surly Amy) is a multimedia artist who resides in Los Angeles, California. She makes Surly-Ramics and writes about vegan food. She is the founder and president of the Los Angeles Women's Atheist and Agnostic Group: LAWAAG. Follow her on twitter: @SurlyAmy or on Google+.

ICYMI: January 20 - January 26 on the Skepchick Network

1. Avatar of marilove
    January 28, 2013 at 12:35 pm —

I want to go to this so badly. I really should just apply. I have friends in Austin I bet I could stay with. It’s a long drive, though. BAH! haha.

January 28, 2013 at 7:24 pm —

Do it! I am planning on going since it’s just a 2 hr drive north to Austin.

2. Avatar of ladydreamgirl
    January 28, 2013 at 12:57 pm —

I’ve been thinking of going, but I’m not sure if I should apply for a surly grant because I can probably get a student ticket. I’ll have to look into whether I can afford it on my own before I apply. Still whether I apply or not I hope to see loads of surly grantees there.

January 28, 2013 at 1:13 pm —

I could also get a student ticket, but every little bit would help me save for a hotel or food for the weekend or whatever. So I’ll probably stilll apply, if I think I can get my butt there.

3. Avatar of Amy Roth
    January 28, 2013 at 1:01 pm —

You should all feel free to apply. The more people I can help get there, the happier I will be. :)

4. Avatar of aneres
    January 28, 2013 at 1:31 pm —

I wish I wish I wish >__<

5. Avatar of aneres
    January 28, 2013 at 1:33 pm —

Wow I just thwarted myself with html tags as emoticons…
    continued: I’m in Phoenix and there’s no way I could get to Austin (don’t own a car, don’t have money for plane/bus/food/living), but boy oh boy this is absolutely awesome of you to offer =D I’m woman and I’m atheist and I wanna meet people blah >_<

January 28, 2013 at 1:35 pm —

Sorry, it just got stuck in moderation. o_O

January 28, 2013 at 1:37 pm —

I also live in Phoenix! ROAD TRIP? :)

January 28, 2013 at 1:49 pm —

Hah that’s definitely a possibility, and thankfully there’s plenty of time to plan such a thing – I err don’t know how to private message here, but let’s hash it out maybe? Quick pros & cons I forsee right away – I don’t work, live with aging parents; time is no constraint but convincing my parents that I’m not ‘running off with some internet people’ (again, heh) will take some doing. Biggest issue is money, and motivating myself to have some money by then.

January 28, 2013 at 2:36 pm —

Well, free to hit me up and add me on Facebook! I am always looking for local Skeptic friends, anyway: http://www.facebook.com/marilove

You can also e-mail me: marilee.cornelius at gmail dot com :)

And anyone else who wants to add me or send me a helllo, that would also be fabulous :)).

I also need to figure out funds. At this point, I’m not sure if it’s feasable, but I’m going to try to hash out the detaisl. But, if I don’t make it this year (and even if I do), one of my good girl friends is REALLY wanting to come with me to this conference, or to TAM, next year — and the more the merrier!

But let’s be friends, regardless! We Arizona Skeptics need to stick together :P

January 28, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Yeaaah urgh I looked for freethinker groups in my area and the closest one is in Mesa; I’m in Glendale/Peoria without a car; those distances would take 8 hours by city bus -.- and there are no buses on Sunday as it is.
            But yay, friends! I added ya – and btw, is your avatar here a pic of Eddie Izzard? Discovering him was the one positive thing I took from a previous horrible relationship, so yay! hah

January 28, 2013 at 2:57 pm —

Oh and I also use Google+, and you can find me with that email address, if you prefer that over facebook :)

6. Avatar of zylla
    January 28, 2013 at 1:52 pm —

I’m happy to have contributed a little to both of your fundraisers. =} I wish it could have been more, maybe next time, but this is such a great idea, thanks for doing this, Amy!

7. Avatar of Ophelia Benson
    January 28, 2013 at 4:38 pm —

You’re the best, Amy!

Just saying.

January 28, 2013 at 4:41 pm —

Awwww, sweet of you to say. But I couldn’t do this without help from the community. <3

8. Avatar of davew
    January 28, 2013 at 6:48 pm —

I’m in.

9. Avatar of Briane Larrieux
    January 31, 2013 at 10:41 pm —

em, no. i may be an atheist, but the “atheist movement” is filled by a bunch of rich white guys just as politically hostile to women and minorities as most christians are. when its so-called leaders are posting racist, misogynist comments on this very blog, i dont know why YOU want any part of them. i’m not going to condemn religion for its hatefulness and then go to atheist conferences that tacitly support the exact same white male privileged crap because they at least sometimes talk about science too.

10. Avatar of Moniqa Aylin
    February 1, 2013 at 1:32 pm —

Awesome. Is there an application deadline?

February 1, 2013 at 2:05 pm —

Not as of yet. But I will probably cut off the applications in a week or two. I will post an update next week sometime with a deadline. :)