Guess what today is? January 17th is Betty White’s 91st birthday, and a few years ago I made a decision to celebrate it as Betty White Day (creative, huh) because (a) I have been watching the The Golden Girls since I was a little kid, and (b) I really like Betty White (and the rest of the cast). I would say that I liked her before she was cool, but hell, she’s been cool longer than I’ve been alive!

Since every holiday needs traditions, I’ve had to make those up too. Here is how I celebrate Betty White Day:

1. Eating a Piece of Cake. Normally this would be a piece of cheesecake, but it can be hard to find good slice in the store, so any delicious cake is just fine. Maybe if I had 3 other girlfriends to chat with all night I would bake a cheesecake, but I haven’t made any plans this year so it’s best that I don’t have an entire cheesecake at the ready. But if I were to go to the trouble to make one, I would make a lemon-ricotta cheesecake, finished with a fresh raspberry puree drizzle. Because I don’t have that much time, I’ll probably just make this chocolate mug cake instead. Discussing my problems (and my childhood in St. Olav) is optional, but traditional
  2. Donating to an Animal Charity. Betty White is known for her love of animals, so in honor of her I make a donation to an animal charity. This year, I’m choosing the ASPCA because I just watched like 5 hours of that show Animal Rescue. (Seriously, every five minutes I’m like, “I’ll save you, animals!! Nooooo!”) If you’re strapped for cash, that’s OK, here’s a Live Kitten Cam you can look at instead.
  3. Watching an Episode of The Golden Girls. I know this holiday is very Golden Girls-centric for me, but what can I say, I’m a fangirl. So I make sure to watch at least one episode today (like I haven’t seen every episode at least 10 times). Plus it airs all the time on the cable channels. (Trivia: Did you know that Joss Whedon’s dad wrote for the show?) If you wanted, you could probably catch some Hot in Cleveland or Mary Tyler Moore. Or any of the other million shows that Betty White has been on.

tumblr_m7mek64WhJ1qd5roeo1_250tumblr_m7mek64WhJ1qd5roeo2_250

(source)

If you have any more traditions to add, please let me know. Also, are there any fun holidays that you made up to celebrate?

And because I am an internet link-scourer, here are some posts about The Golden Girls from other sites that I would like to share with you:

The point of Betty White Day is to have fun and enjoy some good food in honor of one of my favorite actresses (and shows). I’ll leave you with one of the funniest clips from the Golden Girls (transcript below):

[Scene: the women are in the therapist’s office because they are having problems getting along.]

Therapist: Rose, what do you think of Blanche saying these things?

Rose: I think she’s a gerkannenaken.

Therapist: Well what exactly does that mean?

Rose: Literally, it’s the precise moment when dog doo turns white.

Blanche: [gasps, look of horror]

Rose: But in general, it refers to the kind of person you don’t want to share your huegenkagels with.

Dorothy: ROSE, if you say ONE MORE of those stupid words, I’ll–

Rose: OH BLOW IT OUT YOUR TUEBENVERBAHLS!

———————————

Featured Image

Mary

Mary

Mary Brock is a scientist who works on drugs you've hopefully never heard of. She enjoys cooking to Blue Grass music, messing with her cats, and hosting the Boston Skeptics' Book Club. She was born in the South but loves living in New England (despite the lack of chocolate chip pizza). Mary does not use Twitter and don't even try to follow her, because she is always looking over her shoulder.

AI: Sometimes, I'm not as smart as I think I am.

1. Profile photo of spa_yedimonster
    January 17, 2013 at 10:08 pm —

I LOVE this idea! Really, it should be a National Holiday!

2. Profile photo of davew
    January 17, 2013 at 11:36 pm —

I would add disposing of unwanted neighbors with a frying pan.

• Profile photo of Mary
      January 18, 2013 at 10:29 pm —

That’s a Boston Legal reference, right? I think I remember that story arc even though I didn’t watch the show.

• Profile photo of Buzz Parsec
        January 19, 2013 at 3:40 pm —

Eating Raoul?

Make your own cheesecake. Disclaimer: I helped George make several dozen of these on at least two occasions to feed our whole dorm when we were undergrads. I was the lackeyassistant, crushing box after box of graham crackers, buttering pie tins, mixing many pounds of cream cheese. If you ever need an experienced minion assistant, let me know.

3. Profile photo of ethicalcannibal
    January 18, 2013 at 2:07 am —

I just put this holiday in my google calendar. Repeating forever! I love it. It’s exactly the kind of holiday I like. Cheesecake, animal shows, and the ladies.

• Profile photo of Mary
      January 18, 2013 at 10:28 pm —

I’m glad you like it! My calendar is full of weird days I like to celebrate :) It helps to get me through the winter!

4. Profile photo of marilove
    January 18, 2013 at 5:26 am —

“Condoms, Rose! Condoms! Condoms! Condoms!”

This still gets me. Even at 3:30 in the morning.

• Profile photo of Mary
      January 18, 2013 at 10:24 pm —

I love that scene! And then the guy is like, “Easy lady, did you just get outta prison?”

And in the end, they didn’t even use the condoms on the cruise ship. Except for Rose, who made a bunch of water balloons. :)

5. Profile photo of Mary
    January 18, 2013 at 10:27 pm —

Holy cow I just found Golden Girls crossover fanfic (I didn’t even think to look for it): http://www.fanfiction.net/crossovers/Golden-Girls/2399/

Stargate SG-1, Dexter, Twilight, X-men. The possibilities are endless.

6. Profile photo of blackstar
    January 19, 2013 at 2:05 pm —

I absolutely love Golden Girls, and this is a holiday I should celebrate too. :D

7. Profile photo of Crip Dyke
    January 20, 2013 at 10:49 pm —

Betty White once commented on how absurd it was to use, “Grow a pair of balls” as a synonym to “toughen up” given that there is little more vulnerable connected to a human body than a pair of testicles.

Then she said that if you really wanted to get tough, grow a vagina. After all, she reminds us, “Those things can really take a pounding.”

Betty White for the epic, xtreme win!