I know, it’s Wednesday. What a confusing title to post on a Wednesday! But I wanted to give you a heads up that we’ve been inspired by this chart, sent to us by reader Mark H. and originally posted by @altonncf:

Line chart showing correlation between Internet Explorer market share and US murder rate

The Skepchicks enjoyed this so much that we want to make this a regular feature. Every Thursday, we’ll bring you a new bad chart, either created by us just for you, created by you just for us (leave your efforts in the comments), or found elsewhere on the Interwebs.

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca leads a team of skeptical female activists at Skepchick.org and appears on the weekly Skeptics' Guide to the Universe podcast. She travels around the world delivering entertaining talks on science, atheism, feminism, and skepticism. There is currently an asteroid orbiting the sun with her name on it. You can follow her every fascinating move on Twitter or on Google+.

EVENTS This Week—ScienceOnline Con, Astronomy Days, Science in the Dark & More!

1. Profile photo of 5up Mushroom
    January 23, 2013 at 10:51 am —

I redid this chart yesterday, when I first saw it, as a scatterplot between the Murder Rate and the IE Market Share. I tossed a trendline on it using linear regression and the r-squared value was like .985 Correlation does not mean causation, but having done plenty of web development in the last 10 years… ;)

2. Profile photo of kagehi
    January 23, 2013 at 11:28 am —

I believe in it. lol Certainly more than the gun moron argument, “The violent crime rate either went down, or didn’t go up, as more and more guns got bought.” They never seem to note that this is actually “fewer guns in the average person’s hands, but dozens more, instead, in the hands of paranoid freaks, with the net result being more guns in general.” Or, at least, this seems to be the more common result, in many cases.

• Profile photo of koberulz
      January 23, 2013 at 11:50 am —

Either I’m completely misreading what you’re saying, or you’re making the point that ‘more guns purchased’ is equal to ‘people owning more guns’, which…well.

• Profile photo of Kerry Maxwell
        January 23, 2013 at 9:12 pm —

I believe the point is the number of gun owners has gone down, while the overall number of guns in “circulation” has gone up.

• Profile photo of koberulz
          January 24, 2013 at 12:00 am —

Ah, that makes more sense. Although it appears not to be based on any solid data.

3. Profile photo of stmonkeydoom
    January 23, 2013 at 11:35 am —

It maybe a bad chart, but it’s still a lot of fun.

4. Profile photo of Jack99
    January 23, 2013 at 12:59 pm —

This feature is a great idea, It reminds me a bit of a game I used to play at work, where I would think up the worst possible solution to a work problem and tell everybody at morning teatime. Not so funny when the hierarchy implemented it! These days I keep my trap shut.

5. Profile photo of sallystrange
    January 23, 2013 at 4:58 pm —

I love this feature already.

6. Profile photo of John-Henry Beck
    January 23, 2013 at 9:41 pm —

I think this is a very promising feature.

7. Profile photo of Grand Lunar
    January 23, 2013 at 10:04 pm —

This looks like fun.

I’d love to see something involving cats with this.

8. Profile photo of d506
    January 24, 2013 at 10:10 am —

Clearly, what this data shows is that someone is systematically murdering Internet Explorer users.

• Profile photo of apuc
      January 24, 2013 at 10:57 am —

Seems like a valid hypothesis, however, I’d wager that no matter where you get the browser market share data, 18,000 does not correspond to 90% market share..though it would be awesome, if only 18,000 people were using Internet Explorer..
      Also love this new Thursday feature, and just because I immediately thought of it when I saw the chart, the original “Average global temperature vs. number of pirates” chart by Bobby Henderson should at the very least get an honorable mention, lifetime achievement award or something along those lines.