Happy Boxing Day, to everyone who celebrates it! I hope your families are treating you well this holiday and that you got everything you wanted for Christmas/Other Gift-giving Event. Does anyone have any movie/Netflix recommendations to fill the time between today and New Year’s Eve?

Featured image

Mary

Mary

Mary Brock is a scientist who works on drugs you've hopefully never heard of. She enjoys cooking to Blue Grass music, messing with her cats, and hosting the Boston Skeptics' Book Club. She was born in the South but loves living in New England (despite the lack of chocolate chip pizza). Mary does not use Twitter and don't even try to follow her, because she is always looking over her shoulder.

Ask Surly Amy and Elizabeth: Cats, Genetics and Diseases

1. Profile photo of criticaldragon1177
    December 26, 2012 at 8:35 pm —

Mary

Marv and Harry were defective terminators. I would have hypothesized that they were cartoons.

I love the home alone movies. The first three anyway, I never saw the fourth one. I am probably going to see it soon however, since I just bought a collection of all four of them on DVD. By the way, Marv and Harry were the Wet Bandits in the first movie. They would flood the houses of everyone they robbed. Marv didn’t change their name to the sticky bandits until the second movie.

• Profile photo of Mary
      December 27, 2012 at 5:40 am —

I never watched the 3rd movie, but the 2nd was my favorite, hence my prediliction for the Sticky Bandits :) Plus, Tim Curry!

• Profile photo of criticaldragon1177
        December 27, 2012 at 8:30 pm —

Mary,

The bad guys in the third movie were a teem of international super spies working for a terrorist organization, who stole a computer chip that they hid in a toy car. The four of them weren’t as funny as the bad guys in first two films, but it was still really funny when they went through the kid’s “fun house,” and got pulverized.

2. Profile photo of Tim
    December 27, 2012 at 5:14 am —

movie/Netflix?

“Netflix” IS “movie”. There is no “or”, as implied by the slash, about it. Just say movie. Sanuff. Why come here for movie recommendations anyway? Check out AFI’s website for that sort of thing – they are experts on good movies (as opposed to Netflix movies:)…

• Profile photo of Mary
      December 27, 2012 at 5:38 am —

Thanks for the insight. It must be amazing to have your intellectual prowess. Maybe you should give a TED speech about this.

• Profile photo of marilove
      December 27, 2012 at 10:23 am —

Stand reallllly still while I remove the stick jammed up your ass.

• Profile photo of marilove
      December 27, 2012 at 11:28 am —

“Why come here for movie recommendations anyway?”

And what the hell? WHY NOT? Is there something wrong with asking people whom you have a lot in common with if they have any movie recommendations?

Yeeeesh.

I’m sure you’re a BLAST at parties!

3. Profile photo of ursulaminor
    December 27, 2012 at 10:19 am —

On the American Netflix, I discovered they have this miniseries called the 10th Kingdom which I watched when I was a kid.

If you want a 6 hour movie filled unapologeticaly with fairy tale tropes, then this is the thing for you (or if you watched Once upon a time, and thought it could be sillier)

• Profile photo of Mary
      December 27, 2012 at 10:42 am —

I haven’t seen that in forever, maybe I should give it another look :)

• Profile photo of ursulaminor
        December 27, 2012 at 12:45 pm —

The acting is way worse than I remembered, but the jokes were actually funnier, I think :p

4. Profile photo of Jack99
    December 27, 2012 at 4:00 pm —

Mary, one movie that I enjoyed recently was Iron Sky.

Nazis invading the Earth from the moon and a Sarah Palin lookalike as President. Obviously , much belief needs to be suspended but there are some good laughs to be had.

Lightweight enough for this time of year!