Happy birthday to Marie Curie, one of my favorite aloof and brilliant scientists.

Mary

Mary

Mary Brock is a scientist who works on drugs you've hopefully never heard of. She enjoys cooking to Blue Grass music, messing with her cats, and hosting the Boston Skeptics' Book Club. She was born in the South but loves living in New England (despite the lack of chocolate chip pizza). Mary does not use Twitter and don't even try to follow her, because she is always looking over her shoulder.

AI: The end is near!

Krampus is Coming to Town

1. Profile photo of criticaldragon1177
    November 7, 2012 at 10:38 am —

Mary,

That story about how animals choose their leaders really makes me glad I’m not a honey bee.

• Profile photo of Grand Lunar
      November 7, 2012 at 7:24 pm —

Don’t whales also choose leaders? They weren’t mentioned in that article.

• Profile photo of criticaldragon1177
        November 8, 2012 at 2:32 am —

Grand Lunar,

Come to think about it, I think you maybe correct. I wonder why they didn’t at least mention whales.

2. Profile photo of terryp
    November 7, 2012 at 4:23 pm —

wait, you don’t like green pepper? you and i are done professionally.

3. Profile photo of marilove
    November 7, 2012 at 4:38 pm —

WHAT DID GREEN PEPPER EVER DO TO YOU?!

• Profile photo of Mary
      November 7, 2012 at 5:28 pm —

Green peppers smell and taste bad. Blech. I don’t like any bell peppers for that matter.

• Profile photo of Grand Lunar
        November 7, 2012 at 7:24 pm —

Remind me never to serve you stuffed pepper. :)

• Profile photo of Mary
          November 7, 2012 at 7:25 pm —

I can smell it a mile away. The worst is when a stray pepper from my husband’s half of a pizza sneaks its way onto my side. The while slice is tainted!

• Profile photo of criticaldragon1177
        November 7, 2012 at 8:31 pm —

Mary,

Anti Green Pepper Bigot! :)

4. Profile photo of Jack99
    November 7, 2012 at 8:26 pm —

That’s a shame you don’t like red peppers – they are essntial when I make pizzas – for the crunchy texture mainly. Though my wife would agree to a degree cos she hates the green ones too.

I am glad to see that for once I’m not the only one off topic today!

5. Profile photo of Jack99
    November 7, 2012 at 11:06 pm —

On the “Who is running for president” article – folks seem to think this was regarding independents and minor parties and it got me thinking – How did they go in this election?

I saw on TV a lineup with Jill Stein, a Libertarian and some other guy who sounded interesting but missed the detail.

I reckon some good minor parties such as the Greens could do a lot of good for the US – if they could get their vote up to say 10% then they could be in a position of real influence.

In Oz we seem to like this scenario where none of the major parties gets too big a majority and becomes too arrogant.

• Profile photo of DiscordianStooge
      November 9, 2012 at 9:13 am —

It’s a nice thought, but going to the Green party website, their list of officeholders includes Soil and Water commissioners and a few City Council members.

I can’t figure out why the party wastes money on a futile presidential campaign, or even governor races. They’ve started with local offices, now get some people into state houses and senates. That’s how you make changes, not by getting .3% in the national election.

6. Profile photo of Jack99
    November 9, 2012 at 3:26 pm —

Yes, exactly. I had a bit of a dig around after making that comment and, yeah, most of the minors were under 1% in the senate – in the house, zip.

I guess it will remain difficult for minor parties until you get a preferential voting system in the US.