AI: International Rock Flipping Day!
Just wanted to remind everyone that September 9, 2012 is International Rock Flipping Day! This is the 6th annual IRFD.
Go outside, and spend some time with your inner kid (or an actual kid). There are beautiful and amazing things in the world, despite the best efforts of humans. Rediscover them. Rejoice in the joy of secret complexity hidden under a rock.
- On September 9th, find a rock or rocks and flip it/them over.
- Record what you find. “Any and all forms of documentation are welcome: still photos, video, sketches, prose, or poetry.”
- Replace the rock as you found it; it’s someone’s home!
- Post your photos online; it can be on your blog, or load your photos to the Flickr group. (You don’t need a blog to join!) Send Wandering Weta a link to blog posts. If you’re on Twitter, Tweet it, too; the hashtag is #rockflip.)
- There is a handy IRFD badge available here.
Important Safety Precautions: A reminder from Dave:
One thing I forgot to do in the initial post is to caution people about flipping rocks in poisonous snake or scorpion habitat. In that case, I’d suggest wearing gloves and/or using a pry bar — or simply finding somewhere else to do your flipping. Please do not disturb any known rattlesnake shelters if you don’t plan on replacing the rocks exactly as you found them. Timber rattlesnakes, like many other adult herps, are very site-loyal, and can die if their homes are destroyed. Also, don’t play with spiders. If you disturb an adjacent hornet nest (hey, it’s possible), run like hell. But be sure to have someone standing by to get it all on film!
About Respect and Consideration: (from Wandering Weta)
The animals we find under rocks are at home; they rest there, sleep there, raise their families there. Then we come along and take off the roof, so please remember to replace it carefully. Try not to squish the residents; move them aside if they’re big enough; they’ll run back as soon as their rock is back in place.
So: What did you find? What does your inner (or actual) kid think of the idea?
The Afternoon Inquisition (or AI) is a question posed to you, the Skepchick community. Look for it to appear Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3pm ET.