Skepchick Quickies 8.15
In astronomical history, on August 15th 1977, the SETI project received a radio signal from deep space (on the Big Ear). It lasted for 72 seconds and was known as the Wow! signal because the technician made that notation on the recording paper. The signal has not been heard since then. (Maybe it was from that time that the Death Star exploded Alderaan?)
- What Is The Real Terrorist Threat in America? – The anxiety and the reality don’t match up.
- Disruptions: Dining With Robots in Silicon Valley – The last sentence of this article breaks my heart a little.
- 19 Wacky Presidential Candidates You’ve Never Heard Of – A time traveler, someone who thinks that drinking hydrogen peroxide is the only medicine you need (big guess on who his favorite author is), and someone whose nickname is “The Impaler.”
- Did You See This? The Real Star Wars Auditions
- Borderlands 2?s Best Friends Forever Furore – “Noob Mode” should not be referred to as “Girlfriend Mode” for obvious reasons. From Maria.
- Kitty Cams Reveal Shocking Truth – The only thing shocking here is that cat owners are apparently so devastated that their kittehs eat birds that they make them wear special cat bibs.
- The Land of Big Groceries, Big God, and Smooth Traffic: What Surprises First-Time Visitors to America – Do you have any stories of your own to share about something that surprised you while visiting another country?