Dear humans: I spent years learning your hand-language because at some point I figured it was the only way to tell you what I want. Now I want that delicious cookie on the ground and all you can do is point a camera at me, suggest I’m attempting an escape (libelous!), and call me a “monkey.” Fuck you. That’s the middle digit, right?

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca leads a team of skeptical female activists at Skepchick.org and appears on the weekly Skeptics' Guide to the Universe podcast. She travels around the world delivering entertaining talks on science, atheism, feminism, and skepticism. There is currently an asteroid orbiting the sun with her name on it. You can follow her every fascinating move on Twitter or on Google+.

Jamila Bey Pwns Bigots on C-SPAN

1. Avatar of Sean O'Keefe
    August 1, 2012 at 8:08 pm —

For those of you struggling to comprehend the strange clicks and whistles that comprise the northern English accent, please allow me to translate.

“‘E wonts us t’lift t’window oop. Wi this bolt?” can be roughly translated as “I lack the intellectual capacity to notice the object on the ground at which the ape is pointing.”

2. Avatar of delphi_ote
    August 1, 2012 at 10:52 pm —

ARG!!!! YOU MORON!!!! JUST GIVE THE MONKEY THE COOKIE!!!!!!

Whew. I feel better now.

August 1, 2012 at 10:59 pm —

It’s not a monkey………..

August 2, 2012 at 9:26 am —

But the point stands: JUST GIVE THE CHIMP THE GAWDAM COOKIE YOU IDIOT!!!!

Ohmigawd that was the most frustrating 47 seconds ever.

3. Avatar of Finn McR
    August 2, 2012 at 12:19 am —

Let’s see… what shall the title of the paper be? “Incidences in which pan troglodytes evince more intelligence than homo sapiens,”? “Communications failures between pan troglodytes and homo sapiens,”? “Evidence that pan troglodytes is as intelligent as homo sapiens because pan troglodytes can clearly signal intent, but they don’t watch ‘The real housewives of wherever’ or ‘The only way is genericstupidshire’ “?

If I had a choice of charades partners between the chimp and the human in the vid, I’d choose the chimp. Even if we lost due to cultural differences, we would probably have more intelligent conversation.

4. Avatar of Skepotter
    August 2, 2012 at 9:32 am —

What an awesome metaphor for the average American trying to communicate with Mittens.

5. Avatar of blgmnts
    August 2, 2012 at 9:37 am —

The chimp may have picked up some “hand sign language” through contact with the human handlers. But I thought the way he/she/it/they signals “that”, “want mine”, “put on (my) hand” is almost eerily human, especially when I only look at the hands.

August 2, 2012 at 1:17 pm —

Isn’t it, though?

August 5, 2012 at 11:44 am —

That’s why evolution-deniers break my brain. I want to scream “Have you ever seen a non-human ape? Do you even know what one IS?”

I’ve seen a bipedal orangutan drive, clean leaves out of a swimming pool, and perform maintenance. I’ve seen chimps grieving deeply over a lost friend.

They are us, we are them. How can denialists dispute it?

August 5, 2012 at 12:10 pm —

By not looking, it might make them think things they don’t want to think.

tl;dr They don’t want to think.

6. Avatar of Feats of Cats
    August 2, 2012 at 12:31 pm —

I like how it just shakes its head sadly a little bit at the end.

August 2, 2012 at 4:58 pm —

I know – it’s like you can see hir saying ‘I tried. GOD KNOWS I tried, but you are such an idiot. I give up.’

7. Avatar of cburschka
    August 4, 2012 at 6:07 am —

Monkey?

They’re lucky a certain librarian was not in earshot…