Nicole Gugliucci

Nicole Gugliucci

Nicole Gugliucci is a Ph.D astronomer and works with the fabulous project known as CosmoQuest. Her home on the internet can be found at One Astronomer's Noise.

Comment of the week!

ICYMI: July 1-July 7 on the Skepchick Network

1. Avatar of Rei Malebario
    July 9, 2012 at 9:32 am —

Let’s be fair to Romeny’s campaign staff: Maybe that isn’t a failed Venn Diagram. Maybe it’s a failed rendition of the MasterCard logo that they wanted to write their talking points in for some reason.

2. Avatar of Richard
    July 9, 2012 at 3:47 pm —

Wow… The pet tag uses quantum mechanic’s refined frequencies!

Completely safe for dogs, cats, fleas, ticks and humans

3. Avatar of Laika
    July 9, 2012 at 5:49 pm —

Most people don’t like putting flea and tick preventative products on or in their pets. I understand that. I don’t love that greasy spot on my dog’s back either. However, I do apply the stuff because I know how difficult it is to eliminate a flea infestation once it has become established. I also know that there is only on thing that veterinarians agree on when it comes to Lyme disease and that is USE A TICK PREVENTATIVE. How in the hell do these people get away with this?

As with most of these bullshit products, their only value is as a lesson in logical fallacies.

July 9, 2012 at 6:58 pm —

They claim it works for 3 years. I can believe that it is just as effective 3 years after being applied as it is the first day.

(For the snark-impaired: Doesn’t work at all when applied, still doesn’t work 3 years later.)

July 10, 2012 at 10:35 pm —

Didn’t Skepchick recently highlight an article about how there’s a canine vaccine for Lyme disease (but not for people)? I’m pretty sure the vaccine would be more effective than any external tick-control products…

That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t use the latter, since ticks can carry diseases other than Lyme.

4. Avatar of lochaber
    July 10, 2012 at 2:32 am —

First thought I had when reading about the destroyed fossils was some creationist actively destroying ‘devil’s temptations’ or some such. I didn’t even think about vandalism or trophy hunting. not real sure which would be worse.

and yeah, that romney thing totally looked like the mastercard logo – product placement?