Amanda

Amanda

Amanda is a science grad student in Boston whose favorite pastimes are having friendly debates and running amok.

Reminder: Skepchick Book Club Next Sunday [UPDATED]

AI: Summertime, and the living is easy … isn't it?

1. Avatar of mrmisconception
    July 19, 2012 at 10:06 am —

You mean Otto Titzling isn’t real?

My world is shattered.

2. Avatar of porlob
    July 19, 2012 at 10:09 am —

Loved the latest RIaW. Great job as always!

Fun fact: The Celestine Prophecy is one of the primary reasons I call myself a skeptic today. My mom was (is) into just about anything that could be described as New Age. And as a young teenager, I was exploring who I was and wanted to be.

She recommended the Celestine Prophecy to me. I read it and kind of went “… oh, I see: it’s all a giant ball of nonsense this one guy thought up one day,” and cemented in me the idea that asserting something isn’t even close to making it true.

July 19, 2012 at 10:25 am —

I’m glad something good came of that awful, awful book. :)

3. Avatar of ursulaminor
    July 19, 2012 at 10:32 am —

I feel like the bra thing should surprise me, but it doesn’t – I mean, corsets are pretty involved pieces of clothing that probably took a while to invent, while boobs have been jiggling uncomfortably when you jog FOREVER.

4. Avatar of MissMaita
    July 19, 2012 at 11:02 am —

A Muslim! A woman!! Oh noes!! Seriously, it seems to be going around this week. Michelle Bachmann seems to be on a McCarthy like hunt for Muslims in Washington. http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2012/07/18/bachmann_hunts_for_traitorous_muslims_mccain_shames_her.html

July 19, 2012 at 12:15 pm —

Really it doesn’t surprise me that the Senator from Wisconsin Representative from Minnesota has stooped to this, she hasn’t been the center of attention for a full two months now, we can’t have that.

And congratulations to Senator McCain for being a decent human being, something that unfortunately recommends him well above most of him Republican colleagues.

July 19, 2012 at 12:24 pm —

Yea, I read McCain’s statements yesterday and was quite impressed. Then again it’s not hard to find fault with damn near anything Bachman spouts or writes. And also, more evidence the tea party is more than just a little bit about racism and calculated fear mongering.

July 19, 2012 at 4:38 pm —

Yeah the American legacy towards other races and cultures has been horrible. This is a very very toxic element in our country that I don’t see going away anytime soon :(.

5. Avatar of criticaldragon1177
    July 19, 2012 at 1:02 pm —

Amanda,

“Education secretary backs three schools run by groups with creationist views, raising concerns about levels of scrutiny”

Yes, I would hope it would. Thanks for the article.

6. Avatar of criticaldragon1177
    July 19, 2012 at 1:21 pm —

Amanda,

I heard about that story about anti Muslim bigots getting into a tizzy because Haslam hired a Muslim. I hope Americans get over their Islamophobia soon. We have so many other things to deal with, its not like all Muslims are the enemy.

7. Avatar of rinchan
    July 19, 2012 at 6:53 pm —

Oh dear, I was someone who would make fun of Aquaman. I think when people think of Aquaman they think of the one from the Superfriends. And he could only really talk to fish and breath underwater. Or that’s all that was really shown. I know that wasn’t the point of the article, Aquaman just has a strange trigger in me where I want to start laughing when I see the name.

July 19, 2012 at 8:33 pm —

Batman signed a movie deal though you know he doesn’t need the cash
      And all the second-rate superheroes get TV shows
      even the pre-Crisis Flash
      But not me, I guess that I don’t rate
      My comic book’s been cancelled more than Dr. Fate
      I know that I’m no Brainiac but I’m no fool
      I know not even Peter David can make me cool

From Arthur Curry by Ookla the Mok

8. Avatar of scribe999
    July 20, 2012 at 12:56 am —

Regarding the creationist schools…to quote Prof. Hubert Farnsworth:

I don’t want to live on this planet anymore.

9. Avatar of Veronica
    July 20, 2012 at 8:48 am —

At the end of the bra link:

“There is another possible answer to all of this, however, that has gone as of yet unexplored: Time Lords.”

Yes, one of the Doctor Who companions forgetting a bra in the 15th century is my preferred explanation too :)