Amanda

Amanda

Amanda is a science grad student in Boston whose favorite pastimes are having friendly debates and running amok.

Women in World of Warcraft: The Bigger Picture

American Atheists Hate Harassment!

1. Avatar of scribe999
    June 26, 2012 at 12:56 pm —

‘”If it closes that clinic,” Gov. Phil Bryant was quoted as saying during the bill-signing ceremony, “then so be it.” Mississippi would then be the only state with no abortion clinic.’ — they really do like being tops in a lot of awful categories in Mississippi, don’t they?

June 26, 2012 at 1:21 pm —

That comment is pretty telling, I think.

Also telling is the fact that they are far, far, far, far stricter on their laws and regulations for abortions than they are actual birth.

June 26, 2012 at 4:33 pm —

Well, they need more impoverished, undernourished babies to subdue the Earth or some other theocratic nonsense I guess.

2. Avatar of Siveambrai
    June 26, 2012 at 2:34 pm —

That mauling of entanglement made me cry. Otherwise the holistic computer page is hilarious.

3. Avatar of davew
    June 26, 2012 at 3:48 pm —

Researchers create a new male contraceptive that you apply like lotion

I could see how this would work nearly 100% of the time if correctly applied. The correct application would take both hands, time, some sweet talk, a gentle touch, maybe a little Barry White…

June 26, 2012 at 4:13 pm —

My thought exactly. Maybe not *both* hands, though:

“I am so mad at Farrah Fawcett-Majors. She is so conceited. She has never called me once. And after the hours I’ve spent holding up her poster with one hand”

-S. Martin (Of course)

June 26, 2012 at 4:25 pm —

Yeah, I was thinking, this sounds kinda fun…

4. Avatar of scribe999
    June 26, 2012 at 5:17 pm —

As somebody on i09 put it, without proof of Nessie, you can’t use Nessie as proof of anything else.

June 26, 2012 at 7:33 pm —

That’s an excellent point, I thought of that myself. Its clearly another major creationist fail. If there was anything wrong with Evolution, they could do much better than that, plus why would proving nessie’s assistance disprove evolution?

June 26, 2012 at 8:21 pm —

It wouldn’t, but it’s a common delusion in the creationist camps that it would. A large number of the current cryptozoologists are in fact creationists who believe they can prove evolution is false if they prove the existance of nessie/ bigfoot/ yeti/ etc.

5. Avatar of criticaldragon1177
    June 26, 2012 at 7:34 pm —

Amanda,

Glad you liked the story I sent you enough post it here. I’m amazed that another person sent you something about the same story.

6. Avatar of criticaldragon1177
    June 27, 2012 at 1:53 am —

Amanda,

By the way, I forgot to tell you I found more on this Creationists using Nessy story. Here’s Americans United For the Separation of Church and State’s take on it.

Weird Science: Taxpayer-Funded Religious Schools In Louisiana Teach Monstrously Bad Biology

7. Avatar of theted
    June 27, 2012 at 7:55 pm —

When I was in college I practiced Holistic Computer Medicine. It was a running joke I did, I knew what I was actually doing, but most of the time if I talked about the actual computer hardware or software no one understood anyway so I would just make crazy crap up about the phases of the moon affecting hard-drive failure rates. I got more than one person to really believe me.