Skepchick Quickies 6.20
Happy Summer Solstice, everyone! Go make some sun-themed recipes and enjoy learning about the tilt of the planet. Or get drunk and have a bonfire, whatever.
- Seven Amazing Teenage Inventors – All of these kids are awesome, but speaking as a Southerner, my favorite invention was the one made to eradicate Kudzu.
- Tech-Based Dollhouse Inspires Future Girl Scientists – “… only 15% of women college first-years intend to major in a STEM field and less than 11% of engineers are women,” which is why these female engineers teamed up to get girls interested in science and engineering earlier in life.
- An Update on Sanal Edamaruku – Following up with the skeptic who exposed a “miracle” in India and is now facing jail time due to a blasphemy complaint. There is a petition listed that you can sign at the link.
- Pentagon Revamps Rules on Reporting Sex Crimes – “The Pentagon has announced new steps to deter assaults and make it easier to prosecute offenders, a move that follows President Obama’s recent remark that sexual assault ‘has no place’ in the U.S. military.” From Dave.
- The Afterlife of Cheap Clothes – You might be surprised where your clothing ends up. It may make you think twice before you throw something out or buy more stuff.