On This Day: In 1983, astronaut Sally K. Ride became the first American woman in space on the space shuttle Challenger. She went on to become President and CEO of Sally Ride Science, an organization that works to create fun science programs and publications for kids in grades 3 – 8 (with a particular focus on girls).

Image source

Mary

Mary

Mary Brock is a scientist who works on drugs you've hopefully never heard of. She enjoys cooking to Blue Grass music, messing with her cats, and hosting the Boston Skeptics' Book Club. She was born in the South but loves living in New England (despite the lack of chocolate chip pizza). Mary does not use Twitter and don't even try to follow her, because she is always looking over her shoulder.

Skepchick Book Club: The Man Who Knew Too Much

Psychology Today Blogger Marty Klein: Your Facts Are Irrelevant, Woman

1. Avatar of mrmisconception
    June 18, 2012 at 11:58 am —

CAKE BOSS!

June 18, 2012 at 1:37 pm —

omg lol

June 18, 2012 at 1:53 pm —

Pod F. Thomcast fan?

June 18, 2012 at 7:37 pm —

Definitely! I started listening to the Great Undiscovered Project in the middle. It was the most bizarre thing I had ever heard yet I could not stop. Since then I’ve gone back to the beginning and it makes slightly more sense.

BTW his new DVD “Laboring Under Delusions” is also excellent. I’m not sure my wife enjoyed it as much as I did though.

June 18, 2012 at 10:04 pm

He’s quite dry and not for everyone but I find him hilarious.

2. Avatar of Buzz Parsec
    June 18, 2012 at 12:39 pm —

Haven’t had time to read all the links yet (I do have to work sometime, and I’ve been busy ranting about Psychology Today), nut there seems to be something a bout June…

June 16, 1963: Valentina Tereshvoka
    June 18, 1983: Sally Ride
    June 16, 2012: Liu Yang

Numerology or Astrology, anyone? Or selection bias, data mining, Texas sharpshooter fallacy?

June 18, 2012 at 8:36 pm —

I noticed that too. There’s even a cake for the Russian woman!

3. Avatar of scribe999
    June 18, 2012 at 8:12 pm —

Dasmine Cathey’s story is quite complex and goes deeper than most of those heart-string-tugging, ESPN-style biographies found in sports journalism. Also:

U. of Memphis to Revisit Athlete Admissions Policies in Response to Article

June 18, 2012 at 8:39 pm —

Thanks for the followup link. Yeah, I was really touched by his situation, there was no easy solution for him.