On This Day: In 1983, astronaut Sally K. Ride became the first American woman in space on the space shuttle Challenger. She went on to become President and CEO of Sally Ride Science, an organization that works to create fun science programs and publications for kids in grades 3 – 8 (with a particular focus on girls).
- The Education of Dasmine Cathey – A touching story about a college football player who managed to get into college even though he could barely read beyond a first grade level. A must read for your morning coffee break.
- Court-Ordered Care–A Complication of Pregnancy to Avoid – “Should pregnant women be prosecuted for adverse outcomes when they reject medical care? Should they be jailed until delivery? Such cases have already arisen.” From Anne Marie.
- Three Bizarre Tales of Medical Survivors – Stories about people who survived conditions thought to be incurable and what we have learned from their cases.
- Traces of Virus in Man Cured of HIV Trigger Scientific Debate – An in-depth look at the man known as the Berlin Patient.
- Nine Historic Moments Captured in Cake – It’s worth a look, at least for the atomic bomb cake.