I’m preparing to have a pretty major surgery next week, so today’s AI is light and fun and involves you curing me with your life’s pleasures as alt-med. I think that’s fair because I think you’re magic… I also am on pain killers, so that might explain some things.

Last week, on my Facebook page, an endlessly amusing conversation happened. I posted a link to a picture of a baby sloth, and called it Alt-med that works 100% of the time. Because, seriously, how can a picture of a baby sloth NOT cure everything? It has to. It’s a baby sloth!

Unfortunately, the link came from Twitter, and had no  preview, and a very nice lady misunderstood what I was saying and became very annoyed that I, of all people, would be promoting alternative medicine.

The conversation went Facebook-style flame war then everyone agreed that sloths are indeed the best thing to cure everything and we all walked away from the conversation happier and healthier than ever… or at least amused. It was one of my favorite Facebook things ever… or at least my very favorite Facebook thing last week.

But wouldn’t it be wonderful if indulging in our favorite things did make us better?  Like what if reading celebrity gossip actually improved your eyesight or lowered your cholesterol… or if looking at baby sloths could reverse paralysis? Or sitting on your couch, eating tacos, helped eradicate poverty? And swearing at drivers on the road neutralizes carbon emissions?

What do you love to do that you wish made a difference? What do you like to pretend makes you feel better, like ice cream or retail therapy? Do you think this is a brilliantly disguised way of me trying to come up with clever ways to raise money for charity?

image via the Your Daily Baby Sloth Tumblr

Elyse

Elyse

Elyse MoFo Anders is the bad ass behind forming the Women Thinking, inc and the superhero who launched the Hug Me! I'm Vaccinated campaign as well as podcaster emeritus, writer, slacktivist extraordinaire, cancer survivor and sometimes runs marathons for charity. You probably think she's awesome so you follow her on twitter.

Surly Women Grants for TAM 2012

Truth as Blasphemy

1. Avatar of Luna
    May 1, 2012 at 3:18 pm —

I think there was a study which showed that relaxing (hot shower, meditation) is good for creativity. As far as indulgences? I wish that maple syrup on rice chex cereal made me smarter and thinner. I’d have some right now.

2. Avatar of Mark Hall
    May 1, 2012 at 3:23 pm —

I will frequently eat things that are horrible for me… usually quite fatty and delicious… until I feel better. This is frequently accompanied by fun reading, like mounds of comics or fantasy with a good sense of humor.

I refer to it as “triglyceride therapy.”

3. Avatar of mrmisconception
    May 1, 2012 at 3:40 pm —

I have a hypothesis the single malt Scotch and buttermilk pancakes can cure enuii but I just can bring myself to care enough to test it.

4. Avatar of Improbable Joe
    May 1, 2012 at 3:50 pm —

How does the saying go? “Feed a fever, drown a cold in vodka”?

5. Avatar of Amy Roth
    May 1, 2012 at 3:53 pm —

Nachos for the cure.
    And guacamole for a better tomorrow.

May 1, 2012 at 4:04 pm —

Rocket Therapy should be taking off soon in LA!

May 1, 2012 at 9:45 pm —

Is that some avocado-alien connection you are hinting at or are you just looking forward to watching Endeavour travel through Los Angeles this fall? I know I am. I am also worried a bit about the avocados.

6. Avatar of procyon
    May 1, 2012 at 4:04 pm —

I’ve been conducting trials of a peculiar variety of homeopathy. I’ve been able to document that, for me at least, drinking the hoppiest of IPAs makes me less bitter about everything.

May 2, 2012 at 12:47 pm —

So that’s why I’m acting so idealistic and hopeful these days! It’s because of my new love of hoppy IPAs. I knew there had to be some explanation.
      But wait – if it’s homeopathic then I have been dangerously overdosing myself.

May 2, 2012 at 10:48 pm —

No, it’s the opposite. You can actually TASTE the bitterness so you’re dangerously UNDERdosing yourself. You need to dilute it before you’ll see a proper homeopathic effect, so clearly you’re just experiencing the placebo effect. / silly

7. Avatar of James Fox
    May 1, 2012 at 5:03 pm —

I have no doubt that a month in a warm dry climate at an all inclusive adults only resort, on a great beach, with a world class golf course, multiple four star restaurant and daily massages under the cabana with a drink in hand could cure just about anything. I know that sounds more like fantasy than indulgence but wishing Scotch and dark chocolate consumption resulted in weight loss just goes without saying.

8. Avatar of weatherwax
    May 1, 2012 at 6:20 pm —
  9. Avatar of scribe999
    May 1, 2012 at 9:36 pm —

Once, it used to be a cigarette and a cup of coffee. Nowadays, I don’t mind the pint of beer with a friend or two as a cure for what ails ya.

10. Avatar of Siveambrai
    May 2, 2012 at 12:59 pm —

If swearing at others on the road reduced emissions levels I would single handedly end global warming.

11. Avatar of Bjornar
    May 2, 2012 at 2:05 pm —

Read. I wish the Hundreth Monkey Theorem was true and me thinking my brilliant thoughts was contagious. Also popcorn should be a panacea.

12. Avatar of cthandhs
    May 2, 2012 at 2:22 pm —

When a friend was going through chemo, she swore cake was great for bone pain. :)