Amanda

Amanda

Amanda is a science grad student in Boston whose favorite pastimes are having friendly debates and running amok.

SkeptiCalCon THIS WEEKEND!

"Where Will You Spend Eternity?": My Experience with Religion at the Doctor's Office

1. Avatar of Slugsie
    April 20, 2012 at 11:07 am —

I don't even know where to begin with that first headline. I tried reading the article, but my brain rebelled.
    Guess what, sperm, is also a contributing factor in more than 99.99% of all unwanted pregnancies.

2. Avatar of Harrison Gross
    April 20, 2012 at 11:16 am —

Oh wow, that apology by the author of The Oatmeal is quite the way to apologize. Wish more people in the "gaming" community acted like that.

3. Avatar of Edward Strickson
    April 20, 2012 at 11:22 am —

I believe the 'moar kittens' was me, and I regret nothing!

4. Avatar of Improbable Joe
    April 20, 2012 at 11:39 am —

Apologizing is only hard when you REALLY REALLY REALLY don't mean it, and actively hate the people you are apologizing to. If you can't even fake sincerity in text form, you must have a whole ton of hostility and contempt for your target. I'm already a big fan of The Oatmeal… *sings* "He is the motherfucking pterodactyl!"
    Fuck the Catholics, of course.

5. Avatar of Zhankfor
    April 20, 2012 at 11:44 am —

If you follow the link labeled "these bogus healing machines" in the elderly perv story, it brings you to the American Cancer Society's page on Electromagnetic Therapy. The first bit of info is:
    "Other common name(s): BioResonance Tumor Therapy, Cell Comm System, Rife machine, Zapper, Super Zapper Deluxe, zapping machine, electromagnetism, bioelectricity, magnetic field therapy, bioelectromagnetics, bioenergy therapy, and other names
    Scientific/medical name(s): none"
    Awesome.

6. Avatar of Zoltan
    April 20, 2012 at 5:30 pm —

<i>Gill, who is not a doctor, gave the women phony homeopathic treatment…</i>
    Alas, if only he'd given them the *real* homeopathic treatment, their cancer might have been cured….

7. Avatar of beryl
    April 20, 2012 at 6:22 pm —

To a person with a law background the "fornication is the leading cause of unwanted pregnancies" is a very questionable claim, but not a particularly funny one.  "Fornication" actually has a formal meaning, and it's not just sex, it's sex between unmarried people.  I'm fairly sure that all this person was saying was that most unwanted pregnancies arise from sex outside of marrige.  (This, of course, has little bearing on her argument against abortion.)

April 21, 2012 at 10:27 am —

Of course she is they type who thinks that a marriage certificate is magical and will make any pregnancy wanted by automatically bringing in enough resources to care for the child.  Plenty of married couples face unwanted pregnancies though.