Happy February, everyone! Jen is busy hunting down groundhogs for her annual feastday tomorrow, so I’ve taken over the Quickies.

Featured image via Joshua Roberts/Reuters /Landov

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca leads a team of skeptical female activists at Skepchick.org and appears on the weekly Skeptics' Guide to the Universe podcast. She travels around the world delivering entertaining talks on science, atheism, feminism, and skepticism. There is currently an asteroid orbiting the sun with her name on it. You can follow her every fascinating move on Twitter or on Google+.

New Campaign Announced: We Are African Americans for Humanism

X-post! Harmonizing Humanism: Quiet Company

1. Avatar of Improbable Joe
    February 1, 2012 at 10:44 am —

Is it just conspiracy theorists, or people who hold any incorrect belief? Part of how we know people have the wrong idea is that the idea is inconsistent with external reality, but how we tend to try to talk them out of it is by pointing out internal contradictions. We go after Christians with the problem of evil, or with the contradiction between omniscience, omnipotence, and free will.

2. Avatar of mollygrue
    February 1, 2012 at 12:00 pm —

Very proud of Martha at the Bistro. She will probably face some very horrendous backlash, as this is a conservative area, but it’s definitely good for TN lawmakers to know that there is resistance to the ongoing stupidity. She’ll definitely be getting my business!

3. Avatar of Corey Feldman
    February 1, 2012 at 12:15 pm —

RE the Bistro – Love that!

Komen – frustrating and disheartening

10 yr old – awesome hope it inspires a life long love of science and discovery

RE Conspiracy theorist. Sounds like he is making fun of people for their faulty logic by employing his own, or at least some poor reasoning. In the examples the real belief is that there is a cover up. They might not be saying that they believe both X and Y at the same time. They might simply be saying I don’t believe in PDQ so both X and Y are possible….

4. Avatar of freemage
    February 1, 2012 at 12:24 pm —

Damn, damn, damn, damn, damn.

My wife and I had just been talking about tag-teaming the Race for the Cure next year–I’d do the walking, she’d do the fund-raising (her hips won’t let her do the walking, and I hate fund-raising, so it’s a happy compromise).

If this decision stands, though, I won’t bother. I refuse to reward the Komen organization’s cowardice.

Does anyone know of similar fundraisers that WOULD benefit Planned Parenthood in the Chicago area?

5. Avatar of scribe999
    February 1, 2012 at 1:18 pm —

I know it’s just a drop in the bucket, but i already made up my mind to give $316 to Planned Parenthood before this Komen Foundation debacle thanks to that irritating Focus on the Family ad that aired during the NFL Playoffs (Tim Tebow’s game, no less).

6. Avatar of Felicity
    February 1, 2012 at 2:47 pm —

I already donate on a monthly basis to Planned Parenthood. PZ suggested some alternate cancer charities, so I just made a donation to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation at http://www.bcrfcure.org/ (and my employer matched 50%). They have impressive stats for how much of the money raised goes directly to research and awareness (over 90%).

7. Avatar of Jack_Gladney
    February 1, 2012 at 4:02 pm —

I just donated $50 to Planned Parenthood and am really ashamed that it took something like this to get me to act (but I thought about letting that anti-abortion guy from the article know). I’ll be making monthly donations from now on.

8. Avatar of marilove
    February 1, 2012 at 5:05 pm —

I can’t donate because I’m way too broke, but I do have an appointment with PP on Saturday so I can get a new BC scrip, and eventually I’ll get a full exam, when I can afford it.

9. Avatar of Silus_of_Perusia
    February 1, 2012 at 8:23 pm —

Now donating $15 / mo to Planned Parenthood. Not a lot, but I figure every bit will help.

10. Avatar of nikoel
    February 2, 2012 at 5:35 pm —

I’m a volunteer for Planned Parenthood in WA State and this whole debacle has been pretty damn amazing. So many supporters all over my Facebook page and all over my news feed including all three of my senators (state & fed) and the vast majority of the comments have been positive. Komen gained/kept a number of supporters, but lost so. many. more. It’s really bolstering my spirit going into this extra-contentious election year.

11. Avatar of mrmisconception
    February 2, 2012 at 8:35 pm —

Komen’s senior vice president is self-identified lifelong conservative Republican, but this was not political.

RI-I-I-IGHT!

Telling that she proclaimed two years ago that she was going to kill funding for Planned Parenthood. The “investigation” in the Senate simply gave her the justification that she needed.

Just as they did with Acorn before it, the Republicans are showing just how shameless they are at destroying things they disagree with.