Quickies

Amanda

Amanda

Amanda is a science grad student in Boston whose favorite pastimes are having friendly debates and running amok.

In Case You Missed It: December 18 - December 24 on the Skepchick Network

Reddit Makes Me Hate Atheists

1. December 27, 2011 at 10:33 am —

So there are men who stare at goats inside the Pentagon… interesting.

2. December 27, 2011 at 10:37 am —

Penis Mom is meme-worthy.

3. December 27, 2011 at 11:25 am —

As a father of a 1st grader, I see the “Penis Mom” story in a little different light.

When I go to the school, about twice a week, I am one of a very few men in the building. It is children, teachers, and moms. Fathers are few and far between.

I wonder if the school announcement was an effort to get more fathers engaged with their children’s education by attracting them with a punkin chunkin event.

I completely understand Karen’s point of view. A woman can chunk a punkin as well as anyone. The email could have been written better, agreed. However, when trying to get men more involved with their kids at school, a domain dominated by women, maybe a little slack could be given.

If it were me, I would have asked for *parents* to help and relied on the nature of the event to attract some fathers.

me

• December 27, 2011 at 5:04 pm —

Yeah, I see your point, but… did you see how the principal responded. #facepalm

4. December 27, 2011 at 12:05 pm —

I read the first quarter of the Pentagon story I just couldn’t make it any further because it was long and rambling. The only alt-woo I saw them mention in what I read was Yoga/meditation. I would argue that it’s barely woo. They can just be ways of forcing yourself to relax, exercise, and visualize. All proven forms of therapy. OK visualization might not be therapy but I thought that in certain circumstances that it improved your execution, like say in making free throws.

Was there more alt-woo later or was that it?

5. December 27, 2011 at 5:59 pm —

the original penis mom post is here: (for those who despise the huffpo as much as I do)