Originally posted on Mad Art Lab.

We have discussed robots here before but did you know that this fall YOU can take an online artificial intelligence class, straight from Stanford University from you living room! It’s true!

The course teachers are Sebastian Thrun and Peter Norvig. Dr. Norvig is a former NASA scientist who is now Google’s director of research and Thrun is responsible for the Google driverless car.
They say this online course and other classes that will be offered have a goal of, “…bringing education to places that can’t be reached”. What’s particularly fascinating about this class is that it went viral and started with only 80 students and now has over 60,000 students potentially enrolled.

If that many students actually follow the class through to the end I think that goal of spreading education will indeed be reached.

It is recommended that you know some higher math to take the class but there are no actual restrictions to signing up. You won’t get Stanford class credit but you will get a “statement of accomplishment” if you make it through.

I love this idea. Go here to sign up.

Amy Roth

Amy Roth

Amy Davis Roth (aka Surly Amy) is a multimedia artist who resides in Los Angeles, California. She makes Surly-Ramics and writes about vegan food. She is the founder and president of the Los Angeles Women's Atheist and Agnostic Group: LAWAAG. Follow her on twitter: @SurlyAmy or on Google+.

Women in Computational and Theoretical Chemistry by Jacqueline Hargis

AI: Boycott on Boycotts?

1. Avatar of Amy Roth
    August 16, 2011 at 2:06 pm —

Did I mention it’s FREE! It is.

2. Avatar of rabrav
    August 16, 2011 at 2:52 pm —

interesting..
    a study group related to this course is up and running on reddit (link given at “ai-class DOT COM”)

Probability and Linear Algebra are the recommended pre-requisites

thanks for spreading the message

3. Avatar of blissed
    August 16, 2011 at 5:00 pm —

Oooh thanks for posting! I’ve signed up. Though I’m an artist and know nothing about linear algebra as yet. And if I’m too acadenically stupid to understand it consciously my subxonscious migt still get a feel for the subject because it’s one I’m so totallly fascinated by. Sungularities and whartever :) I say sentient software agents will rescue rhe earth from us.

4. Avatar of blissed
    August 16, 2011 at 5:02 pm —

Ha ha I posted the unspellchecked version :)

There that’s better

Oooh thanks for posting! I’ve signed up. Though I’m an artist and know nothing about linear algebra as yet. And if I’m too academically stupid to understand it consciously my subconscious might still get a feel for the subject because it’s one I’m so totally fascinated by. Singularities and whatever :) I say sentient software agents will rescue the earth from us.

August 16, 2011 at 5:49 pm —

Yes this here is an example of real intelligence, it’s not artificial :)

5. Avatar of
    August 17, 2011 at 12:49 am —

AI was my specialty in grad school. I strongly recommend this to all skeptics. Understanding automated inductive reasoning will give you better insight into human inductive reasoning. For instance, decision trees can demonstrate the relationship between Ockham’s razor and predictive ability of theories.

6. Avatar of killyosaur
    August 17, 2011 at 10:02 am —

Signed up, have the prereq’s already (I do have a degree in computer science after all) and love the study of AI, so this should be fun. :)