ActivismReligionSkepticism

Exposing gurus and tricksters in India

Check out this clip from the BBC showing what the Indian Rationalists do to combat gurus who go out to villages in India trying to get money for their supernatural powers.

Masala Skeptic

Masala Skeptic

Maria Walters (a.k.a. Masala Skeptic) has spent a lot of time in ‘furrin parts,’ including Hong Kong, Trinidad, and Pittsburgh. Although her passport is from India, she’s spent most of her adult life in the United States. She currently lives in Atlanta and has an unhealthy affection for science fiction, Neil Gaiman and all things Muppet.

Fukushima & The Mainstream Press

1. April 5, 2011 at 11:53 am —

Ha we posted this on Mad Art lab! Great networks think alike.

2. April 5, 2011 at 1:12 pm —

The guy playing the guru is a comic genius.

3. April 5, 2011 at 3:02 pm —

@scribe999: When the coconut ignites, he does a great Cheech Marin take. Prior to that, a nice bit of Sylvia Browne-style surliness. (Sorry, Amy, these guys are pros.)

4. April 5, 2011 at 4:17 pm —

Very cool. I spent about 10 weeks in northern India, and I absolutely loved it, except for the, um, how should I put it? Industry of nonsense disguised as spirituality? You know, with a mean commercial streak.

Most of the other westerners I met were on some sort of ‘spiritual journey’, and were vulnerable to these kinds of things, too. I am really happy that there are rationalists out there doing this kind of demonstration. Next time I am in India, I hope to meet some folks involved in that!

5. April 5, 2011 at 9:30 pm —

This group is doing great work! It must be difficult to educate in such a large country.

I saw today, also, that one of the most famous of the charlatans, Sathya Sai Baba, is not doing very well in the hospital. Will he survive to explain why he couldn’t cure himself or why one of his acolytes couldn’t cure him?

6. April 6, 2011 at 4:38 am —

The Indian rationalists are some of my favorite. The lengths to which they go to expose the woo simply amazes.