Skepticism

New Video! Venom Fang X and the Argument from Popularity

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca leads a team of skeptical female activists at Skepchick.org. She travels around the world delivering entertaining talks on science, atheism, feminism, and skepticism. There is currently an asteroid orbiting the sun with her name on it. You can follow her every fascinating move on Twitter or on Google+.

Skepchick Quickies, 3.16

5th Interview with my Dad, a Nuclear Engineer, about the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant Disaster in Japan

1. March 16, 2011 at 4:27 pm —

I’ve just been trying to ignore the existence for VenomFangX for quite some time now…but the MS Paint graphics has made this takedown palatable :D

2. March 16, 2011 at 4:32 pm —

Whilst watching this video, I BELIEVED with all my might that Rebecca would remove her robe at the end, and sure enough, she *didn’t.* Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

Obviously, we need more believers.

3. March 16, 2011 at 4:51 pm —

Whilst watching this video, I BELIEVED with all my might that Rebecca would remove her robe at the end Venom Fang X didn’t exist, and sure enough, she *didn’t.* he *does*.Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

Shit.

4. March 16, 2011 at 4:52 pm —

@Reverend Kel: Well, I did my bit.

5. March 16, 2011 at 5:15 pm —

Thanks for the post/video!

6. March 16, 2011 at 6:00 pm —

It is a good look, for a Bondage fan.

But why give that tool any attention?

Speaking of Bondage, why has Randi not played a major role in a Bond film? Is he allergic to cats?

7. March 16, 2011 at 6:15 pm —

Black bathrobe = villain
    White bathrobe = heroine

I’m glad Rebecca and Venom got it right. It might have been confusing.

8. March 16, 2011 at 11:12 pm —

In general, the problem with the argument from popularity isn’t that it is fallacious but rather that it in general gives such weak evidence that any other evidence is orders of magnitude more relevant. This is all the more severe when we have multiple plausible explanations for why the beliefs in question would develop without any external impetus.

Incidentally, when did VenomFangX reappear? His last disappearance seem to last for a while. Does that mean we’re back to the usual cycle? I wonder when we’ll get to the bogus DMCA takedown notice stage. That was fun.

9. March 16, 2011 at 11:56 pm —

One more point, humans have huge imaginations.

10. March 17, 2011 at 12:06 am —

Aside from your objections, for Venom Fang X to be able to derive the probability of God’s existence from the fact people believe in him, he would need an estimate of the unconditional probability of God’s existence and the unconditional probability of belief in God.

Bayes Fail.

11. March 17, 2011 at 8:36 am —

No more “god of the gaps” now it’s “god in the shoebox.” A new meme in the making.
    Way to go, Rebecca!

12. March 17, 2011 at 8:38 am —

1. Belief in freedom is highly likely in a world where freedom exist.

2. Belief in freedom is an abnormality/anomaly and highly unlikely in a world where freedom does not exist.

3. ???

4. Profit!!

13. March 17, 2011 at 10:45 am —

Forget Rebecca, I wanna see Mr. Nomington in a bathrobe! wooot!

what?!?!

14. March 18, 2011 at 12:30 pm —

Rebecca Watson,

This is not surprising, since Venom Fang X, like the overwhelming majority of creationists has always been a self parody.