Rebecca Watson

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca leads a team of skeptical female activists at Skepchick.org and appears on the weekly Skeptics' Guide to the Universe podcast. She travels around the world delivering entertaining talks on science, atheism, feminism, and skepticism. There is currently an asteroid orbiting the sun with her name on it. You can follow her every fascinating move on Twitter or on Google+.

Psychic Kids

The Mass Libel Reform Blog – Fight for Free Speech!

1. Avatar of Cartman86
    November 10, 2010 at 2:19 pm —

I’m afraid to read the Youtube comments that will miss the satire.

2. Avatar of TerrySimpson
    November 10, 2010 at 2:28 pm —

My wife pointed to the 2 yo neighbor kid and said that is the kid who will tell ours that there is no Santa — and I replied that our son (now 4 months old) will be telling him there is no Jesus

3. Avatar of scribe999
    November 10, 2010 at 2:38 pm —

4. Avatar of captsam
    November 10, 2010 at 3:08 pm —

@scribe999 do you have something against turkey and over indulgence.

5. Avatar of scribe999
    November 10, 2010 at 3:18 pm —

@captsam: Nah, just warring against holidays with any religious connections (no matter how tenuous) is in my nature as an atheist I suppose…can’t wait to take on Valentine’s Day again. Maybe I’ll branch out and take on Arbor Day and Cinco de Mayo next year.

6. Avatar of spurge
    November 10, 2010 at 3:18 pm —

I am happy to join in a war against Christmas being brought up before Thanksgiving has even occurred.

I was a a department store today and I just wanted to smash all the Christmas crap.

Is that wrong?

7. Avatar of Sam Ogden
    November 10, 2010 at 3:21 pm —
  8. Avatar of Rebecca Watson
    November 10, 2010 at 3:31 pm —

@Sam Ogden: Ooops thanks! Linked to the wrong one in the post. Fixed now!

9. Avatar of scarleton
    November 10, 2010 at 3:58 pm —

Brilliant — time to muster Winter Solstice Warriors and take out this thing called “christmas”

10. Avatar of Satans Parakeet
    November 10, 2010 at 4:03 pm —

11. Avatar of Bjornar
    November 10, 2010 at 4:05 pm —

Yule is perfectly good. It’s from pre-christian Norse. Admittedly m-w defines it as:

the feast of the nativity of Jesus Christ : christmas

But the etymology is:

Middle English yol, from Old English geōl; akin to Old Norse jōl, a pagan midwinter festival

In Norway it’s been the name all along, so the religious veneer has never been that thick. There’s no name for the holiday in Norwegian that mentions Christ.

I loved the video all the way up to the clip from “Christmas with a capital C”. Killed my buzz dead.

12. Avatar of Rebecca Watson
    November 10, 2010 at 4:16 pm —

All the comments here and on YouTube are making me lol but I have to toss a COTW nomination to @Satans Parakeet for “I plan to demand equal space for atheist holiday decorations at the Kentucky state capitol (Frankfort) and then bring out our traditional giant holiday dildo.”

13. Avatar of Tessa K
    November 10, 2010 at 4:21 pm —

Only about 5% of people go to church at Christmas in the UK and they’re mostly very old or drunk. They shouldn’t be hard to lure away with mince pies and shiny things. Then baby Jesus will have to celebrate his birthday all on his lonesome.

14. Avatar of TreVelocita
    November 10, 2010 at 4:22 pm —

15. Avatar of Rebecca Watson
    November 10, 2010 at 4:23 pm —
  16. Avatar of Buzz Parsec
    November 10, 2010 at 4:29 pm —

@Bjornar: Remember pagans just believe in more gods than christians do.

17. Avatar of Buzz Parsec
    November 10, 2010 at 5:05 pm —

Listening to the War podcast from 2008, I was inspired to look around my computer for the lyrics to my favorite Christmas Carol (couldn’t remember the title so I was searching for “Rudolph” in all my text files.)

Seconds after I found it as I was creating a new tab in my browser to search for the audio, the segment after Brian Thompson started (the speaker isn’t identified.) Vast cosmic coincidence! The podcast clip uses the Doors’ “The End” as background. The Christmas song I was seeking is called “Mr. Mojo’s Christmas” and features christmas lyrics set to Doors songs, including “The End”.

My psychic powers are just too scary!

18. Avatar of God Obscures Perception
    November 10, 2010 at 5:09 pm —

I’m definitely going to bust in on private homes this year, “Die Hard” style, and smash up their nativity scenes! YEAH!

19. Avatar of Mark Hall
    November 10, 2010 at 5:46 pm —
  20. Avatar of DataJack
    November 10, 2010 at 5:50 pm —

@scribe999: “I’m afraid to open a new front until I’ve concluded my War on Thanksgiving, thank you.”
    COTW – No holiday is safe from Rebecca’s marauding horde!

I’ve got president’s day covered.

21. Avatar of DataJack
    November 10, 2010 at 5:56 pm —

@TreVelocita: “If there’s one thing I can’t stand, it’s the creeping commercialization of The War on Christmas.”

COTW – LOL! Srsly.

22. Avatar of kimberlychapman
    November 10, 2010 at 6:18 pm —

I’m going to be super-sneaktastic about it.

I’m going to put up a Christmas tree with my 5 year old, hang stockings, bake cookies featuring Santa and stars and angels, sing along to our favourite family Christmas album, and go to a bunch of Christmas-themed parties, some of which will even be put on by Christians who will pray.

Then, when nobody suspects anything….BLAMMO! All the gifts under the tree will be from the likes of ThinkGeek and other purveyors of science/mathy goodness.

MUAHAHHAAHAHA I WILL HAVE FUN PLAYING ALONG AND THEN I WILL FILL THE DAY WITH SCIENCE!

And the Toy Story 3 DVD. Again…5 year old. Duh.

23. Avatar of Sam Ogden
    November 10, 2010 at 6:30 pm —

@Buzz Parsec:

That’s me at the end of the podcast, Buzz.

24. Avatar of Cygore
    November 10, 2010 at 8:00 pm —

I will support the war effort by celebrating Christmas and the providing intelligence reports to any atheist organization that needs them.

25. Avatar of exarch
    November 10, 2010 at 8:14 pm —

I will start by setting up my “War on Christmas” hostility scene, with the G.I.Joes shooting up the manger.

As for the satire, I wonder if there’s an “inverse Poe’s law“, which states that no matter how obvious your satire is, there will be fundies who think you’re for real.

26. Avatar of SkepticalFlowers
    November 10, 2010 at 8:26 pm —

Rebecca, I stand in awe of your sarcastic powers.

@ Satans Parakeet: Is that your Festivus Pole or are you just happy to see Baby Jesus?

@ exarch: I think it is called “Colbert’s Law”…

27. Avatar of Biodork
    November 10, 2010 at 11:01 pm —

The Hubby and I are finally regaining our ability to breathe after laughing our lungs out onto the floor (no mean trick, breathing when one’s lungs are are the floor).

We’re going to fight the war on Christmas by driving six hours in what I assume will be the annual blinding snowstorm to see family and exchange gifts and gossip. If we die during the drive this year, then all the Christians can feel guilty for making us travel in the middle of fekkin’ winter. Take THAT, Christmas!

Seriously though, why can’t we celebrate Christmas in Autumn during nice driving weather?

28. Avatar of Amy Roth
    November 10, 2010 at 11:11 pm —

Fuck mayor. REBECCA FOR PRESIDENT!

29. Avatar of Buzz Parsec
    November 11, 2010 at 12:18 am —

@Sam Ogden: Excellent musical choice. Nothing says “Christmas” like the Doors!

30. Avatar of James K
    November 11, 2010 at 1:23 am —

We should definitely attempt to supplant Christmas with Newtonmas. The big advantage of this plan is that Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son of a bitch in space , and we could always use the extra firepower.

31. Avatar of JeffGrigg
    November 11, 2010 at 7:12 am —

Gotta wonder about that old fat guy who seems to take an excessive interest in other people’s children. I hear that he’s constantly watching them, and making lists. Sounds suspicious.

32. Avatar of starve2act
    November 11, 2010 at 2:08 pm —

Remember, everyone; you’re not a True Atheistâ„¢ unless you put a black ribbon magnet on the back of your Satanmobile.

33. Avatar of Siveambrai
    November 11, 2010 at 4:10 pm —

@exarch: I have been looking for a use for the creche that some well intentioned and believing family friends bought me. Artistically the set is beautiful but I never liked the religious connotations and therefore didn’t set it up. Now I know how to balance it.

34. Avatar of mcarp
    November 11, 2010 at 7:26 pm —

I’ve got your small town to move to: Warm River, Idaho. Population: 8.

You could definitely rock Warm River as mayor. Yeah, it’s a little out of the way, but it is close to Yellowstone NP.

35. Avatar of tudza