I’m getting ready to hit the big blue skyway for my trip to TAM London but before I do I thought I’d share some web-comic love. Here is a great series called The Oatmeal and a fun comic about all the annoying things people subject us to in emails.

Please click the image to read the rest of the frames, they are very relatable and hilarious!

Thanks to the awesome @tankgrrl on twitter for bringing this to my attention and be sure to open cc this post chain-mail style to ALL your friends and family! They will love you for it. ;)
email no no

See you in London!

Amy Roth

Amy Roth

Amy Davis Roth (aka Surly Amy) is a multimedia artist who resides in Los Angeles, California. She makes Surly-Ramics and writes about vegan food. She is the founder and president of the Los Angeles Women's Atheist and Agnostic Group: LAWAAG. Follow her on twitter: @SurlyAmy or on Google+.

Skepchick Quickies, 10.11

1. Profile photo of vbalbert
    October 11, 2010 at 1:48 pm —

So how do I log in to make a comment?

2. Profile photo of Amy Roth
    October 11, 2010 at 2:20 pm —

@vbalbert: Ha!

3. Profile photo of NoAstronomer
    October 11, 2010 at 2:21 pm —

It’s always a good day when you learn something new. Today I learned that I could take on 25 Justin Biebers in a fight.

4. Profile photo of scribe999
    October 11, 2010 at 3:54 pm —

Although, some people shouldn’t be allowed to search. The kinds of things I’ve seen typed into a search bar (ex. ‘spell chaker in word’, ‘my neighbor’s keyboard is too loud’, ‘how do I get a bigger spoon’) make me want to douse myself with buckets of water and jump into a bank of servers.

5. Profile photo of tudza
    October 11, 2010 at 4:01 pm —

Nice that search in Gmail worked for somebody. For some reason the things I want to find in my email don’t turn up in Gmail search. I have to fire up Thunderbird and us its search function, and then I find what I’m looking for.

I always try the Gmail search in case Google has fixed whatever the issue is, but no luck yet. Shoot, they haven’t even fixed the obvious issues with their “forgot my attachment” feature.

6. Profile photo of Rebisaz
    October 11, 2010 at 5:26 pm —

Oh, man, those were hilarious. I particularly liked “Lord Jimmers, Duke of Internet”.

7. Profile photo of James Fox
    October 11, 2010 at 5:33 pm —

Now I’m wondering if there are surly computers out there that get irritated with me when I ask for that password I forgot… again.

8. Profile photo of Mark Hall
    October 11, 2010 at 7:20 pm —

9. Profile photo of BeardofPants
    October 11, 2010 at 10:15 pm —

Glad you’ve accepted Lord Oatmeal as your saviour!

10. Profile photo of JeffGrigg
    October 12, 2010 at 6:37 am —

I usually “reply all” to hoax and scam emails, with nothing but a link to the appropriate http://www.snopes.com/ page for the hoax that was sent, and a very brief summary of why it’s wrong.

Most of my relatives have learned to ask me first before spamming such stuff, to see if it’s true or not. (Some have even learned to do a search first, to find out for themselves!)

11. Profile photo of slxpluvs
    October 12, 2010 at 8:47 am —

Be nice. Not all of us had moms that could lay of the hooch for the 7 months until we were born.

12. Profile photo of davew
    October 12, 2010 at 9:58 am —

@Mark Hall: If there’s any justice in the world, software designers would be forced to used the software they create. Some of this shit is missing so many basic features to be user friendly that I expect it to shank me when I try to give it basic instructions.

I can top this. I write software that only my wife and I use. Talk about customer feedback. Poor GUI? Peanut butter for dinner. A bug that loses data? Knee to the crotch!

13. Profile photo of Zapski
    October 12, 2010 at 10:15 am —

@JeffGrigg: I do the same. It’s amazing how well it stopped the mailings. I don’t think they stopped sending them to me, just that I was removed from the list. One person who used to be egregiously bad about that actually didn’t invite me to her wedding. I suspect it was all the “this is a hoax” replies I sent.

14. Profile photo of tmac57
    October 12, 2010 at 10:27 am —

@JeffGrigg-Yeah, I use the ‘reply all’ tactic too when I’m really ticked with the content.The ones that amaze me are the obviously bogus stories that end with”THIS IS TOTALLY TRUE!!! IT HAS BEEN VERIFIED ON SNOPES!!!” (Which, of course,it hasn’t).

15. Profile photo of Bjornar
    October 12, 2010 at 2:29 pm —

I only had to use the snopes thing a few times. Now nobody forwards me crap.

16. Profile photo of Peregrine
    October 12, 2010 at 2:41 pm —

My sister started sending them to me first, and asking “Hey, could you check this out on Snoops for me?”

No, that’s not a typo. She actually called it Snoops.

So I replied back with the link, and said “Hey, did you know they have a search box at the top of the page? So now you can check things out on Snopes too!”